Problems with the Update Manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sixberries

Problems with the Update Manager

Post by sixberries »

Hello, I'm pretty new at this, so please be patient with me. :) I'm working with Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon version 3.8.9; Linux kernel: 4.15.0-34-generic

I really don't know if the info above is relevant, I thought that might be useful to know. :P

I'm trying to apply the updates (Update Manager) and an error always shows:

Code: Select all

W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
What should I do? Thanx in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Problems with the Update Manager

Post by gm10 »

Run this in a terminal window and it will start working:

find /etc/apt -name *.list -print|sed 's/.*/F=&;cat <(sort -u $F)|sudo tee $F/'|source /dev/stdin
Unfortunately nobody ever tells me what they did to create this commonly seen mess. I'd really love to know, I'm sure there must be some bad guide or tool out there leading to this. Maybe you will be the first to let me know. ;)
robt

Post by robt »

gm10 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:39 pm Run this in a terminal window and it will start working:

find /etc/apt -name *.list -print|sed 's/.*/F=&;cat <(sort -u $F)|sudo tee $F/'|source /dev/stdin
Unfortunately nobody ever tells me what they did to create this commonly seen mess. I'd really love to know, I'm sure there must be some bad guide or tool out there leading to this. Maybe you will be the first to let me know. ;)
I am not the OP, but I was just looking for this because I had a similar problem. gm10, I followed your instructions and my problem was corrected.

Let me tell you what I did prior to the problem. I needed to install Wine to run a program. I looked on the forums here to find out how to install Wine. I found this link:

viewtopic.php?t=272814

and then I followed Post #3 by nielo. I believe I then ran Update Manager before installing the program I needed. This is when I experienced the problem with errors for multiple entries. I hope this helps.
sixberries

Post by sixberries »

Thank you very much gm10, problem solved!

:D :D
gm10

Post by gm10 »

You're welcome both of you.
robt wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:09 pm Let me tell you what I did prior to the problem. I needed to install Wine to run a program. I looked on the forums here to find out how to install Wine. I found this link:

viewtopic.php?t=272814

and then I followed Post #3 by nielo. I believe I then ran Update Manager before installing the program I needed. This is when I experienced the problem with errors for multiple entries. I hope this helps.
Thanks for that, appreciated (you see, the other guy said nothing, it's hard to come by this information). And I believe I understand for Wine now, you added their repository twice because of the unnecessary extra instructions for Mint which you ran in addition rather than instead of the regular command. They should just delete the Mint part and it would be fine. Anyway, that doesn't concern you. Thx again for satisfying my curiosity. ;)
robt

Post by robt »

[/quote]

Thanks for that, appreciated (you see, the other guy said nothing, it's hard to come by this information). And I believe I understand for Wine now, you added their repository twice because of the unnecessary extra instructions for Mint which you ran in addition rather than instead of the regular command. They should just delete the Mint part and it would be fine. Anyway, that doesn't concern you. Thx again for satisfying my curiosity. ;)
[/quote]

You're welcome.

Return to “Beginner Questions”