Is my system properly configured? Noob Troubleshooting Fresh Install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tandrias

Is my system properly configured? Noob Troubleshooting Fresh Install

Post by Tandrias »

Hi I'm Tandrias,
Been using linux for a while but only recently switched to my all time distro. Good-Bye and Good-Riddance Windows!
That being said... I want to make sure I know how to properly maintain my system.

I've had no issues installing Mint 19. Immediately after installing the os I configured Nvidia-Prime (to the best of my knowledge it's working as intended switching between intel and nvidia without issue) and all my games work beautifully. (If it matters; I play overwatch, wow, league of legends, guild wars 2, the witcher 3 etc) all working without issue using dxvk where possible.

I did however notice two crash reports in my System Reports menu. One is a _usr_lib_xorg_Xorg.0.crash and the other is _usr_bin_cinnamon.1000.crash. After speaking with a kind community member in LinuxMint IRC, he suggested it was an issue with secure boot. I had had secure boot disabled but after chatting with him and searching online someone suggested enabling secure boot and adding the grub.efi as a trusted uefi. I then did as directed and rebooted with no issues.
I just want to make sure my system is configured and running properly and hopefully learn how to troubleshoot issues in the future.
I will include a link to my system info and the one crash log I'm able to link. (the 2nd crash log -the one associated with the xorg crash states the crash log could not be read "Please fix it's permissions."

System info. http://termbin.com/ytbv
Cinnamon crash log http://termbin.com/tqwi

Please let me know if there's any other info I can link that will assist.

Again I'm not really experiencing any issues (besides the two crashes that I didn't notice apparently)
Just wanting to make sure my system is healthy and that I know how to check it going forward.
Sorry for the wall of text.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Is my system properly configured? Noob Troubleshooting Fresh Install

Post by smurphos »

I honestly wouldn't worry about occasional transient crash reports, particularly if you didn't even notice any effect of the crash. I would say differently if the crashes where frequent and/or reproducible.

One comment on your inxi - it looks the intel graphics, sound and wifi is at an early stage of support in the 4.15 kernel. But if you are using the Nvidia card exclusively that shouldn't cause you any problem for graphics. If you are using the intel graphics it would be good to see theinxi - Fxz output (System Info) whilst the intel graphics is active. Is your sound and wifi working OK?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Tandrias

Re: Is my system properly configured? Noob Troubleshooting Fresh Install

Post by Tandrias »

Working Brilliantly both sound and wifi. and when i switch to intel graphics everything works as expected.

Return to “Beginner Questions”