Add more space to linux partition using Gparted

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bradrar
Level 1
Level 1

Add more space to linux partition using Gparted

Post by bradrar » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:36 am

I installed Gparted today because I want to add more space to my "/home" and system "/" partition.
Here is a picture of what I've done so far.
Gparted.png
What I did was resize my dev/sda5 and and now I have unallocated file of 11.18GiB.

I want to put this to dev/sda6 and dev/sda8 partitions but then when I right click dev/sda8 and clicked Resize/Move, I can't put numbers inside "Free Space Preceding(MiB)" .

Am I doing this right? What should I do to add more space in my linux home? Thanks

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Add more space to linux partition using Gparted

Post by catweazel » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:41 am

bradrar wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:36 am
I want to put this to dev/sda6 and dev/sda8 partitions but then when I right click dev/sda8 and clicked Resize/Move, I can't put numbers inside "Free Space Preceding(MiB)" .
That's because there is no free space after sda8. You ought to backup your treasured stuff before proceeding further because you must move sda4 and sda5 to the unallocated space, then you can extend sda8. After that, you must move sda8, then sda7 into the remaining unallocated space before you can extend sda6.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

fabien85
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Add more space to linux partition using Gparted

Post by fabien85 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:34 am

catweazel is right.
To explain more, the graphical representation by gparted is a physical representation. At the moment you have free disk sectors at the end of the disk, so only the last partition (sda5) can be changed in size or partition. Indeed partitions must be contiguous on the disk.

As suggested by catweazel, you need to play a game of sokoban moving partitions until the free space is contiguous to the partition you want to grow.
Because there is always the risk of a wrong manipulation, make a backup of the important data that are on the affected partitions.
Also of note is that :
- you will not be able to move/resize the Mint partitions from the installed system (that would be like trying to lift yourself by pulling on your boots). You need to boot a live USB or DVD to do that.
- moving sda5 to the right is going to be pretty long (hours) given the amount of data there.

I note that another, probably faster, solution would have been to resize sda3, which would leave free space on the left of sda6. Then you could remove and resize your linux partitions (which is going to be faster than moving sda5 because these are faster linux filesystems, and the partitions are smaller). However sometimes windows doesnt like when the system partition is tampered with, and it could refuse to boot afterwards, needing a repair.

Last note: make sure you have disabled fast startup in windows, otherwise you will for sure have data corruption.
win8 https://www.eightforums.com/threads/fas ... ws-8.6320/
win10 https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/418 ... -10-a.html

bradrar
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Add more space to linux partition using Gparted [Solved]

Post by bradrar » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:21 am

Thank you for answering my question. I will backup my files first

Return to “Newbie Questions”