Mouse problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paulnotes

Mouse problem

Post by paulnotes »

Hello all.:)
I finally installed Linux Mint onto my old laptop last week after months of thinking about it. It all going well so far.:)
One slight problem has cropped up.
I bought myself a wireless optical mouse which is compatible with Linux. It works well, except when i reboot. It stops working on start up. Its very easy to fix, I simply remove the USB receiver and then put it back in again.
Is there any way I can get Linux to recognize the mouse when I start the laptop, rather than having to continually reinsert the usb stick?
Many thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mouse problem

Post by catweazel »

paulnotes wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:28 am ... old laptop ...

Is there any way I can get Linux to recognize the mouse when I start the laptop, rather than having to continually reinsert the usb stick?
Many thanks
Check your machine's BIOS for an option called xhci handoff or similar. Toggle its setting to on if it's off, and off if it's on. Try that.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
paulnotes

Post by paulnotes »

Hi
Thanks for the quick reply.
I installed Linux on a HP pavilion g6 laptop with 4gb of Ram and an intel i3 cpu. It originally came with windows 7...
I couldnt find any reference to xhci handoff in the BIOS, just an option to boot from a floppy or a CD-ROM. I enabled the floppy option, with no luck.There was also an "internal Network Adapter Boot" option which is disabled. Is there something Ive missed?
Any thoughts?
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

paulnotes wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:04 am Hi
Thanks for the quick reply.
I installed Linux on a HP pavilion g6 laptop with 4gb of Ram and an intel i3 cpu. It originally came with windows 7...
I couldnt find any reference to xhci handoff in the BIOS, just an option to boot from a floppy or a CD-ROM. I enabled the floppy option, with no luck.There was also an "internal Network Adapter Boot" option which is disabled. Is there something Ive missed?
Any thoughts?
Usually the setting is under Legacy USB Support for Intel

Return to “Beginner Questions”