[SOLVED] Firefox Home page?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Davyn

[SOLVED] Firefox Home page?

Post by Davyn »

I really enjoy using Linux Mint 19 Tara OS and my favourite Web browser is Firefox. What i would like to see when opening Firefox is the Firefox home page which displays a number of boxes where the user can insert a link to their favourite website(s) in these boxes. But i can't for the life of me find this Firefox home page. Can someone help me please. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Firefox Home page?

Post by richyrich »

Check Firefox's Preferences > Home section, and under Windows & Tabs you should be able to choose Firefox Home from the drop down list. (I like it too) :)
If it isn't available, try the Restore Defaults button.
Davyn

Post by Davyn »

Hiya richyrich

Have already done as you suggested and no luck! Firefox displays the Linux Mint search page.

As much as i really do enjoy using the Linux Mint operating system and running Firefox i feel let down when opening the default browser and see displayed a very bland and in my opinion ugly Linux Mint search page.

Thanks for taking the time out to try and help richyrich.

Regards Davyn
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

In Firefox 62.0, Preferences- Home- Homepage and new windows -
Screenshot from 2018-09-19 16-22-05.jpg
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Davyn

Post by Davyn »

Hi GS3

I've already tried that mate and was't successful.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply though.

Regards Davyn
snowflake

Post by snowflake »

Davyn wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:45 am Hiya richyrich
Have already done as you suggested and no luck! Firefox displays the Linux Mint search page.
yeah that's weird lol
try custom

Code: Select all

about:welcome
Good luck
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Davyn wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:41 am I've already tried that mate and was't successful.
Do all the boxes show the same? Not just the homepage but the other boxes? Custom URLs?
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Personally I hate it and removed these 'features' immediately -it's one of the reasons why I stopped using Firefox.

But if it makes you happy, I can understand your point of view.
For as much as I know it's one of the so called 'features' and I think 'activity-stream'.
Is this page helping you any further?
snowflake

Post by snowflake »

GS3 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:09 am
Davyn wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:41 am I've already tried that mate and was't successful.
Do all the boxes show the same? Not just the homepage but the other boxes? Custom URLs?
no apparently, I'm getting the same problem, just updated from 61 to 62 so this could be related to the update, you can set custom URLs, so just set Homepage to custom

about:home
or

about:newtab
& New tabs to Firefox home
or just go with

about:welcome
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Try setting the home page to about:home

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I find that I rarely go outside of my "Standard websites", even though I have more than 10,000 bookmarks.

but, I find those bookmarks by using the "show-all Library" menu, and entering a keyword....

for day to day surfing, fast flipping thru my sites, it is just the "Top Sites" menu,

I have no use for any of the other crapola they suggest further down the page, it is all turned off.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

In "about:config" can you enter 'activity-stream' in the search field and see that it is enabled, value should be 'true'.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Maybe you should be investigating "Group Speed Dial" from the Firefox addons page. Works well for me.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Davyn

Post by Davyn »

Would like to thank everyone for taking the time out and replying to my post but snowflake and smurphos had the correct solution to my problem. I went along to Preferences => Home and under Custom URLS... I typed 'about:home', and now i've got eight boxes in which i can store my favourite links. Cheers!!

Return to “Beginner Questions”