how to open iso file on usb stick in terminal

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Howard_P
Level 2
Level 2

how to open iso file on usb stick in terminal

Post by Howard_P » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:00 am

I need to verify that the iso that I copied to a usb stick is accurate. The instructions I have are to right click on the iso icon and click on "open in terminal window". Unfortunately there is no such item as "open in terminal window", so how do I do this? I have the procedure for verification once I get past this point. Thank you. -Howard

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Re: how to open iso file on usb stick in terminal

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:06 am

AFAIK there is no point in opening the isos in a terminal. There is nothing human readable.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Post by gm10 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:13 am

Howard_P wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:00 am
I need to verify that the iso that I copied to a usb stick is accurate. The instructions I have are to right click on the iso icon and click on "open in terminal window". Unfortunately there is no such item as "open in terminal window", so how do I do this? I have the procedure for verification once I get past this point. Thank you. -Howard
It's a bit unclear what you are actually trying to achieve. If you want to verify the downloaded .iso file, see here: https://linuxmint.com/verify.php

If you created a bootable USB based on the .iso file, then when you boot from it, there's an option to check the integrity of the medium (at least for UEFI boots), that's the recommended procedure to make sure everything can be read correctly.

But to answer your actual question, you can simply double click an .iso file in your file browser to mount it and access its contents (and use the MD5SUMS you'll find inside to verify the contents).

Howard_P
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Howard_P » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:24 am

As you can tell, I'm pretty ignorant about this. Here are the instructions I got from an earlier question. I was able to accomplish this somehow on an earlier installation but can no longer figure out what I did... Thanks. -Howard

To verify that files were correctly written to the stick right click the desktop icon
for that stick and choose 'Open in Terminal', then copy/paste the following into the terminal window:
md5sum -c MD5SUMS
That will scan each file on the stick and compare the checksums with the text file on the stick named "MD5SUMS"
There will be a delay at ./casper/filesystem.squashfs because it's a large file, so just wait for it to complete.
The 6 lines warning at the bottom is normal and not an issue. Everything else should read "OK"

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Post by gm10 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:35 am

Howard_P wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:24 am
As you can tell, I'm pretty ignorant about this. Here are the instructions I got from an earlier question. I was able to accomplish this somehow on an earlier installation but can no longer figure out what I did... Thanks. -Howard

To verify that files were correctly written to the stick right click the desktop icon
for that stick and choose 'Open in Terminal', then copy/paste the following into the terminal window:
md5sum -c MD5SUMS
Yes, those instructions are correct. Do exactly like they say and that should work. If not let me know what step poses the problem. Note that no .iso file is involved here, these instructions assume that you have already created the bootable USB.

This part of my post also applies:
gm10 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:13 am
If you created a bootable USB based on the .iso file, then when you boot from it, there's an option to check the integrity of the medium (at least for UEFI boots), that's the recommended procedure to make sure everything can be read correctly.
So you can just have this checked automatically when you boot from the stick instead of the manual verification.

all41
Level 13
Level 13

Post by all41 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:41 am

Hi Howard,
Just open the usb files in your file manager and right click an empty spot to choose Open in terminal.
Then enter md5sum -c MD5SUMS and proceed as before.
also +1 for gm10's sugggestion

edit: clarification per gm10's post below. When you open the usb device that was written from the Mint .iso you will see
several folders (casper etc.) as well as a couple text files (a readme and MD5SUMS). If you do not see these then
the .iso was incorrectly written to the device.
Here is the contents of a properly written usb stick:
iusb contents.png
Thanks gm10
Last edited by all41 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Post by gm10 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:49 am

all41 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:41 am
Just open the usb .iso in your file manager
Just to point out that (and I know all41 didn't mean this) if you've actually got an .iso file on your USB then you did something wrong creating the bootable USB.

Return to “Newbie Questions”