Developing Applications on Linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SpolanderCJ

Developing Applications on Linux

Post by SpolanderCJ »

I am relatively new to Linux and I would appreciate a definitive answer to this question which I am sure has probably been asked in one form or another before.

I have been using Windows operating systems and developing software on this platform for most of my life.
One of the great things about Windows, is that Microsoft provides you with products like Visual Studio and SQL Server with which you can easily develop applications in a choice of languages which integrate easily with the Windows product.

I recently installed Linux Mint and I must say, that am am very impressed with this Distro of Linux. Really easy to use has a strong Windows feel to it with all the benefits of Linux.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.
I would like to be able to do a similar job in developing simple forms based applications that have a good relational database in the background. (I assume that MySQL would fit the bill here). What choices do I have for development languages and perhaps an IDE.

Many Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Developing Applications on Linux

Post by gm10 »

SpolanderCJ wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:01 pm I would like to be able to do a similar job in developing simple forms based applications that have a good relational database in the background. (I assume that MySQL would fit the bill here). What choices do I have for development languages and perhaps an IDE.
Well, if you stick to Visual Studio Code you retain a familiar environment: https://code.visualstudio.com/

The choice of languages is yours, just keep using whatever you're used to, or learn something new. For the GUI, there's no Windows forms or WPF API (unless you want to use Wine), so you'll probably end up creating a GUI using Qt, GTK, a browser.
SpolanderCJ

Post by SpolanderCJ »

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply and for the information.

I found out to my embarrassment shortly after I had made the post, that The Software Download center has a category dedicated to development languages. I suppose that one must make a choice based on what is on offer. It seems as though Python is a popular choice but I'm not sure.

Many Thanks.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Python is one of the most high level languages there is, even if you forget everything you know about coding you can probably still write python scripts. ;)

So sure, python will work, but the whole range of C-languages is available, too. As I said, the choice is yours.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:02 am Python is one of the most high level languages there is, even if you forget everything you know about coding you can probably still write python scripts. ;)
Humbug!

Code: Select all

>>> computer, order 1kg of Mac Baren Modern Virginia Flake pipe tobacco
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    computer, order 1kg of Mac Baren Modern Virginia Flake pipe tobacco
                    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>> 
:mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:36 am
gm10 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:02 am Python is one of the most high level languages there is, even if you forget everything you know about coding you can probably still write python scripts. ;)
Humbug!

File "<stdin>", line 1
                    ^
>>> 
Seems legit. Clearly something they will need to fix in Python! :P
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Nah! It's just that the Python has given up smoking.............[runs....hides]
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Humbug!

File "<stdin>", line 1
                    ^
>>> 
Agree 100%. Anyone who says programming is easy is bogus and can't actually do it. Period.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:18 am
Humbug!

File "<stdin>", line 1
                    ^
>>> 
Agree 100%. Anyone who says programming is easy is bogus and can't actually do it. Period.
Now that escalated quickly.

Since you know I can't just let this slide I'll quote you the "bogus" developers of python:
python.org wrote:Whether you're new to programming or an experienced developer, it's easy to learn and use Python.
See https://www.python.org/

At the end of the day it's for yourself to judge whether you find something easy or hard - some people simply lack the talent for programming and thus struggle with it. But OP clearly knows how to code and thus does not have that problem.
Neil Darlow

Post by Neil Darlow »

I used to develop applications on Windows using Delphi. I now do the same for GNU/Linux using Lazarus.

The programming language is, obviously, object-oriented Pascal and, with care, you can also target MacOS and Windows too (you have to recompile your code on those operating systems but the benefit is that the resulting executable uses the native widgets).

Lazarus supports a rich set of data-aware controls for MS-SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL and others like SQLite and FireBird (previously InterBase). These can support all the familiar dialogs and tab controls you will have used when programming under Windows.

Others have suggested Python which is a fine language but you have to commit to using a particular GUI library. This can be a bit of a drawback when developing croass-platform applications where native look-and-feel might be desired.

ATB, Neil

Return to “Beginner Questions”