how do i find the file path?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Marjorie

how do i find the file path?

Post by Marjorie »

This is my 'stupid question' of the day.

How do I find the file path for a program?

I've installed a program with Play on Linux, and it needs to be connected to my Dropbox account. I'm using a script to connect the two, but it was written before Play on Linux and so uses wine as the default folder. My program is in a Play on Linux folder.

I can't figure out what the full file path is though so I can change it when I run the script in the terminal. I know it came up when I originally installed it with Play on Linux, but I didn't write it down and now I can't figure out how to figure it out.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: how do i find the file path?

Post by smurphos »

Do you know the name of the file?

Quick way from the terminal locate <filename>

e.g

Code: Select all

$ locate lookingGlass.js
/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/lookingGlass.js
So /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/lookingGlass.js is the full path.

Other way - just open the folder in your file manager and look at the address bar at the top for the path (minus the filename). Same example for lookingGlass.js

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Marjorie

Re: how do i find the file path? [SOLVED]

Post by Marjorie »

thank you! That worked perfectly.

Return to “Beginner Questions”