NTFS flash drives end up with garbled filenames

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kodan50
Level 1
Level 1

NTFS flash drives end up with garbled filenames

Post by kodan50 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:54 pm

Greetings! I was hoping to find an answer to this issue by searching here and on Google, but alas, my Google-Fu is not strong. I am switching from Windows 7, and I've used it for a long time, so I'm used to navigation and I have no problem going into settings and all that good jazz.

I downloaded Linux Mint 19 x64 MATE edition and was able to install it successfully. I was able to plug in a flash drive and see the contents of that drive. I'm using NTFS because it is a flash drive with tools I need when working on Windows computers. (I don't recall having an issue with FAT32 flash drive, but I don't often use FAT32.) I downloaded some updates to some of the tools and dropped them onto the flash drive. I then unmounted the flash drive, and when I removed it, I plugged it into the Windows computer, but the files names were all garbled up.

Since it was hosed anyways, I ended up formatting it back to NTFS, reinstalled my Live Windows image I used, loaded my files back up on it, and tried to update the files again from Linux. It worked the second time, so I wrote it off as a fluke. A few hours later, I went to drop a file onto my antivirus flash drive, and it happened again. Same thing as before, I unmounted it for safe removal and when I plugged it into my desktop computer, it was garbled. The antivirus tools are actually on a memory card plugged into an adapter so I can set it to "read only". Point be, that two completely different drives have had this happen.

Is there any practices I should implement in the future to keep this from happening?

Return to “Newbie Questions”