Can "English (Intl., with AltGr dead keys)" be used for French too?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
drpeppercan

Can "English (Intl., with AltGr dead keys)" be used for French too?

Post by drpeppercan »

I am using the above mentioned keyboard layout, for English and Spanish. But is there a way to use it for French too?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can "English (Intl., with AltGr dead keys)" be used for French too?

Post by rene »

Bien sûr, pourquoi pas?
drpeppercan

Post by drpeppercan »

Tres bien!
Donc, comment fais-tu l'accent grave sur la lettre e, a, etc ? (contraire a espagnol).
Et, la cedille sous la lettre c.

Merci
gm10

Post by gm10 »

drpeppercan wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:16 pm Tres bien!
Donc, comment fais-tu l'accent grave sur la lettre e, a, etc ? (contraire a espagnol).
Et, la cedille sous la lettre c.

Merci
I'll respond in English because this is the English part of the forum. Because not all desktop environments support this, here's a screenshot of your chosen keyboard layout as my MATE desktop shows me (Mint menu > Keyboard > Show for an interactive version if you're using MATE, and I think also Cinnamon):
kbd_en_intl.png
You will find the "accent grave" in the top left and the "cedille" next to the m. The default binds are the ones shown on the left-hand side of the keys, the AltGr binds are on the right.

So for è you have to press AltGr+` and then e. ç is just AltGr+,.

T'as tout compris ? :P
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I'll just add that although you see from the layout-picture that e.g. AltGr+e is é you can also compose aigu similarly to grave: AltGr+', <let go>, e. This is frequently easier to remember: AltGr+' (é), AltGr+` (è), AltGr+6 (ê, note that ^ is above 6), AltGr+" (ë), ...

Those single compose-keys are also identified on the layout-picture.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

A bit off topic but perhaps useful:
On a Swiss keyboard you can find German with all umlauts as well as French with all accents.
Very handy for all those who repeatedly enter texts in different languages...
drpeppercan

Post by drpeppercan »

Got it!

Thank you both for your help! :)

DPC

Return to “Beginner Questions”