How to fix paths after installing texlive on linux mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
farhan2018

How to fix paths after installing texlive on linux mint

Post by farhan2018 »

Hi,
I had to go from windows to Linux but linux is actually not easy to understand. I just installed texlive again but i got this in the end.
Add /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/man to MANPATH.
Add /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/info to INFOPATH.
Most importantly, add /usr/local/texlive/2018/bin/x86_64-linux
to your PATH for current and future sessions

Logfile: /usr/local/texlive/2018/install-tl.logo

how to do that ? I got frustrated after trying many times.
i appreciate your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to fix paths after installing texlive on linux mint

Post by rene »

The normal/best method is setting up a file in /etc/profile.d but the /usr/local bit seems to say you installed texlive manually. There's no need for that: sudo apt-get install texlive-full gets you the full texlive distribution straight from the repositories, configured for your environment and fully functional. If you will be doing that, first uninstall the manually installed one again.
farhan2018

Post by farhan2018 »

I have used that command before but one get not the last version of texlive . By the command I got texlive 2017 while texlive 2018 one can only get from the texlive site.
Could you (if you can) give steps in some details how, to do these settings because my text editor textstudio and Texmaker doesn't work otherwise or you think it is better to just use the command and get 2017 version??
Thanks
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

farhan2018 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:05 am I have used that command before but one get not the last version of texlive . By the command I got texlive 2017 while texlive 2018 one can only get from the texlive site.
Uninstall what you've installed, then:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/texlive-2018
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install texlive-full
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

In my own order of preference:

1. Just get the standard TeXLive distribution from the repositories: sudo apt-get install texlive-ful, after uninstalling the manually installed one.
2. Catweazel's suggestion one up (also after uninstalling the manually installed one)
3. Stick with the manually installed one; while I haven't verified that indeed that which you mention is all you need, setting environment variables systemwide is best done by placing a file in /etc/profile.d. In this case you'd do, say,

$ sudo touch /etc/profile.d/texlive-2018.sh
$ xed admin:/etc/profile.d/texlive-2018.sh
and paste in the following:

export MANPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/man:$MANPATH
export INFOPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/info:$INFOPATH
export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2018/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH
Save, exit, and logout and back in to have the path adjustments active in your environment.

I added 3 basically so as to impress on you that it all doesn't matter all that much, that you can you do whatever you like best, but 1 is 1 for a reason: official distribution repositories will have ironed out possible integration issues and are as such generally to be preferred -- and as far as I am concerned certainly in the case of a TeX distribution: getting a 2017 version in 2018 of a typesetting system from 1978 to me sounds veryvery up to date indeed; you should see what you get when you run Slackware Linux. Yes, that's tongue in cheek, but is still to say that unless you quite specifically need a 2018 LaTeX package or something, just don't worry about it...

2 is 2 due to that PPA being a trusted PPA; Personal Package Archives that are well run are "as good as" distribution repositories. Not 1 due to needing to verify said trusted state. 3 is 3 due to you already having it at this point and, well, <shrug> and all.

Return to “Beginner Questions”