Installed mint on disk now mint on another disk wont boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
confusious

Installed mint on disk now mint on another disk wont boot

Post by confusious »

I just installed mint on my /dev/sda drive using lux encryption so I could not manually install and let the installer do all the work (partitioning etc.) While installing I kept my external drive with linux already on it plugged into the computer. After the installation the fresh install on /dev/sda works fine but my old mint installation on the external drive won't boot now on /dev/sdc. I get the following:
efibootmgr.png
I accidently deleted the picture of the actual error but it said something like the boot loader couldn't be found. So gparted didn't show /boot for /dev/sdc1 which was the efi partition for my old os that no longer boots. I was trying to fix this problem on my own and now I really messed up the mount point as shown in the following pics. I have no idea why the installer changed another disk. I was notified when the install began that /dev/sdc was mounted which worried me at first but I left it mounted because it said nothing can be changed on this disk when mounted. Can anyone tell me if there is something I don't see? If it is the boot loader how could I reinstall it without a complete fresh install? Or could this simply be due to the fact that /dev/sdc installation has no /boot or /efi labeled under the mount point anymore?
sdc.png
sdc1.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”