Installing cctv software

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Seathy

Installing cctv software

Post by Seathy »

Hello forum,
I confess to having very little experience with linux. A friend installed it on my hp laptop and I have been enjoying using it for a couple of years without too much bother. I may have even entered a couple of commands into the terminal but I can't recall for why or if I achieved anything.
I want to have a play with a cctv system which came with a disc. I found a command online something get apt {software name} but this came back with 'permission denied'.
Any advice would be appreciated thanks Duncan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ieee488
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing cctv software

Post by ieee488 »

It would help if you told us which CCTV software.
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

There are several ZoneMinder - Bluecherry - and Xeoma come to mind - like leee488 has stated would help to know which software you are trying to install
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

ieee488 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:43 pm It would help if you told us which CCTV software.
It would help everybody if you didn't shout at people.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Seathy

Post by Seathy »

Thanks for replies
As you may gather this is software for the Phono to USB adaptor I have. This is due to the fact I am trying to use an older cctv system.

Video capture USB 2.0 Video capture with audio
Version 4.0a Win10
Cheers Duncan
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

The cd probably only has windows specific software on it.

Plug in the cctv via the USB adapter and run the command lsusb in a terminal window. Report the output in [code][/code] tags. Hopefully that will tell us if linux can recognise the device out of the box.
Seathy wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:06 am As you may gather....
You are attributing psychic powers to forum members that we probably do not collectively have... :wink:
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

If you must run CCTV under linux, I'd go for Xeoma, tried zoneminder and found it was a pig to setup and get working, and then didn't like it when it was working.

In the end I gave up and went out and bought a Synology NAS that comes with CCTV software as standard.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

you can use VLC to capture video from your USB open VLC then Click on Media then click on Open Capture Device providing Linux sees your USB Capture

you need to run in the terminal
lsusb
with the Capture device plugged in to see if Linux sees it

Return to “Beginner Questions”