[SOLVED] Keyboard Macros

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gandhiisback
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Keyboard Macros

Post by gandhiisback » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:21 pm

Whenever I press the ctrl+j key I would like it to be handled as ctrl+c (copy to clipboard). I would still like j to type j and c to type c. I have tried the shortcuts menu, AutoKey and xdotool to no avail. Thanks!
Last edited by gandhiisback on Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N3wb
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Keyboard Macros

Post by N3wb » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:49 am

Install xclip using command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xclip
Then in keyboard settings, add custom shortcut with program name xclip (or fullname /usr/bin/xclip) and set keyboard combo as Ctrl+J
Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic

gandhiisback
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gandhiisback » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:07 pm

N3wb wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:49 am

Then in keyboard settings, add custom shortcut with program name xclip (or fullname /usr/bin/xclip) and set keyboard combo as Ctrl+J
Thanks for the suggestion N3wb it does answer my original question, however I would also like ctrl+j to work as ctrl+c in a terminal. I also plan on remapping other ctrl keys that are unrelated to the clipboard as well. I am trying to replace the functionality of my AutoHotKey scripts from windows.

N3wb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by N3wb » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 pm

gandhiisback wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:07 pm
N3wb wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion N3wb it does answer my original question, however I would also like ctrl+j to work as ctrl+c in a terminal. I also plan on remapping other ctrl keys that are unrelated to the clipboard as well. I am trying to replace the functionality of my AutoHotKey scripts from windows.
This link could be helpful: https://askubuntu.com/questions/620626/ ... thing-else
I think for your overall task, you'd need to remap them all individually.
Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic

gandhiisback
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gandhiisback » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:20 pm

N3wb wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 pm
gandhiisback wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:07 pm
N3wb wrote:

This link could be helpful: https://askubuntu.com/questions/620626/ ... thing-else
I think for your overall task, you'd need to remap them all individually.
Thanks for all the help. Here is the solution I ended up using in case anyone else has a similar need.
https://github.com/tbocek/dvorak

Return to “Newbie Questions”