[SOLVED] Keyboard Macros

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gandhiisback

[SOLVED] Keyboard Macros

Post by gandhiisback »

Whenever I press the ctrl+j key I would like it to be handled as ctrl+c (copy to clipboard). I would still like j to type j and c to type c. I have tried the shortcuts menu, AutoKey and xdotool to no avail. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
N3wb

Re: Keyboard Macros

Post by N3wb »

Install xclip using command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xclip
Then in keyboard settings, add custom shortcut with program name xclip (or fullname /usr/bin/xclip) and set keyboard combo as Ctrl+J
gandhiisback

Post by gandhiisback »

N3wb wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:49 am Install xclip using command:

Then in keyboard settings, add custom shortcut with program name xclip (or fullname /usr/bin/xclip) and set keyboard combo as Ctrl+J
Thanks for the suggestion N3wb it does answer my original question, however I would also like ctrl+j to work as ctrl+c in a terminal. I also plan on remapping other ctrl keys that are unrelated to the clipboard as well. I am trying to replace the functionality of my AutoHotKey scripts from windows.
N3wb

Post by N3wb »

gandhiisback wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestion N3wb it does answer my original question, however I would also like ctrl+j to work as ctrl+c in a terminal. I also plan on remapping other ctrl keys that are unrelated to the clipboard as well. I am trying to replace the functionality of my AutoHotKey scripts from windows.
This link could be helpful: https://askubuntu.com/questions/620626/ ... thing-else
I think for your overall task, you'd need to remap them all individually.
gandhiisback

Post by gandhiisback »

N3wb wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 pm
gandhiisback wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:07 pm

This link could be helpful: https://askubuntu.com/questions/620626/ ... thing-else
I think for your overall task, you'd need to remap them all individually.
Thanks for all the help. Here is the solution I ended up using in case anyone else has a similar need.
https://github.com/tbocek/dvorak

Return to “Beginner Questions”