Keyboard repeat has a very long delay

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amokpaule

Keyboard repeat has a very long delay

Post by amokpaule »

Hello, i changed my key repeat and repeat speed a while ago on my old keyboard. I have a new one now, and i need to change the values back.The system does not overtake my settings, i also made another user and its working fine there. Any help is much appreciated :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Keyboard repeat has a very long delay

Post by gm10 »

In a terminal window on the user with the problem run this:

Code: Select all

sudo chown -Rc $USER:$USER $HOME
and then try changing your setting again.
amokpaule

Post by amokpaule »

Some files where changed from root to my user but i can not yet change my keyboard settings. I change them with xset r rate 500 33 (the value from a working user) and with xset -q i shows that value, but the keyboard still does still work as the settings are not changed.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

amokpaule wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:28 am Some files where changed from root to my user but i can not yet change my keyboard settings. I change them with xset r rate 500 33 (the value from a working user) and with xset -q i shows that value, but the keyboard still does still work as the settings are not changed.
Oh. I was expecting you to be changing them via Mint menu > Keyboard. Try that.
amokpaule

Post by amokpaule »

Visually they are the same snow, but the keyboard behavior is stil very odd and a way to slow. Is there a way to delete my own settings or overwrite them with working ones?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

amokpaule wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:49 am Visually they are the same snow, but the keyboard behavior is stil very odd and a way to slow. Is there a way to delete my own settings or overwrite them with working ones?
I don't know what you mean about the settings - you change your settings by changing them - but you might be having a driver problem. Post output of

inxi -Fxz
and

dmesg | grep -e "/input/"

Return to “Beginner Questions”