[QUESTION] Is xserver drivers the only Nvidia drivers for Linux?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joefro007

[QUESTION] Is xserver drivers the only Nvidia drivers for Linux?

Post by joefro007 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:42 am
iHusky wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:06 am So can someone tell me how to run mint without start X server?
That's not what you need. Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.
I'm having the same issue

Code: Select all

System:    Host: Froputer Kernel: 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1360x768@60.02hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2
           version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.48 Direct Render: Yes
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: [QUESTION] start Linux Mint 19 without X server

Post by catweazel »

joefro007 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:22 am I'm having the same issue
Don't hijack someone else's thread, please. Start your own.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
joefro007

Post by joefro007 »

Don't hijack someone else's thread, please. Start your own.
Doesn't it make sense if we are both dealing with the same issue not to blow up the board with multiple posts of the same issue? I'm sorry you don't like it but we need to work with each other.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

joefro007 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:10 am Doesn't it make sense if we are both dealing with the same issue not to blow up the board with multiple posts of the same issue? I'm sorry you don't like it but we need to work with each other.
Forum Rules, Guidelines, and Policy
[2] New Questions Deserve New Topics

Do not add new questions to existing topics, start your own instead! This will make it easier for other members to provide support. This includes hijacking...
I don't make the rules. I'm simply telling you they are there.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

joefro007 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:10 am Doesn't it make sense if we are both dealing with the same issue not to blow up the board with multiple posts of the same issue? I'm sorry you don't like it but we need to work with each other.
The forum rules don't like it, either, We don't know yet what the OP's exact issue is other than that he's using the wrong driver package. Your nvidia driver is installed so I actually have no idea what problem you think you are having, but it's clearly not the same thing, yet we're now 5 posts into this off-topic discussion that you're disrupting the OP's thread with. Maybe a mod could split this into a separate thread.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Split off from: [QUESTION] start Linux Mint 19 without X server

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Done. It's messy but it's the best I could do. Orginal topic is here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
joefro007

Post by joefro007 »

My bad. I'm use to other forums who hate multiple of the same topic. Honestly I thought the OP was talking about using drivers other than xserver. I'm a noob so I didn't know.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Well, now you know for the future. If you need help you'll still need to tell us about your issue though. ;)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

joefro007 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:39 am My bad. I'm use to other forums who hate multiple of the same topic.
No biggie, we've all been new. But please take the time to read this. It's linked (in red, no less) from the top of every forum page for a reason.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”