Make the touchpad minimal

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hyperactve
Level 1
Level 1

Make the touchpad minimal

Post by hyperactve » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:50 am

Hi, I have bought a ASUS Vivobook S510U and installed linux Mint.
The mouse is behaving abnormally.

For example, it simulates the middle/scroll key of the mouse when I click in the middle of the right and left click button. However, this button often closes a window and I have accidentally closed many windows so far. Which is problematic.

Sometimes, the mouse button randomly pastes different info that I have typed early or selected in another window. Sometimes, it cuts different texts as well for which I have to press ctrl+z again and again.

I think the OS as well as the mouse pad is trying to emulate gesture based features.
But I want a normal old school touchpad with right/left click, two finger scroll only.

I have looked into 'Muse and Touchpad' section of the settings and seen that the click action is set to 'Automatic'. I have changed them to other settings, but they do not seem to ideal to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Make the touchpad minimal

Post by AscLinux » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:50 am

Welcome to the forum!

I have no GUI tools in my computer, thus I have no idea what tool you are using and how it works.
However. In general there will be a hidden config file in your home directory which can be edited by hand to include more options and settings. Also, custom settings can be put in /etc/xorg.conf.d/, in this case they will be system wide and affect all users.
Mint is Linux. There are good wiki's for Arch Linux and Gentoo you can study.
Check these out https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?qu ... ge=english

Return to “Newbie Questions”