[SOLVED] Linux Mint 19, unable to run OpenArena game

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Linux Mint 19, unable to run OpenArena game

Post by vishgaur »

So, I'm new to Linux and I wanted to play some games without using wine (I had wine installed with playonlinux but never used it, also, I never used virtualbox. One day my machine crashed as I did some mistake and uninstalled OS_patches and it runs superfast due to absense of windows programs) and came across this beautiful looking game called OPENARENA.

I installed the game from Software Manager.
I opened it and it didn't just run.

Is this the correct way of installing that game? Or do I need to install something before running openarena?
Just advise me from scratch on how to run openarena on a new linux machine, and to add up an info: I am not present on steam.

Machine:
HP Pavilion Series.
Linux Mint 19, Cinnamon, TARA, 64 bits.
Intel HD Graphic Drivers 5500 series.

I may provide more info if needed. Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 19, unable to run OpenArena game

Post by AscLinux »

In general, if you need to troubleshoot anything in Linux the first step is to run it in a terminal window. Usually there will be an error message that at least gives clues. Often there is enough information to solve the problem.
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 19, unable to run OpenArena game

Post by vishgaur »

Game crashes after saying CONNECTING and this is a widespread problem. Software Centre lagging behind is the issue #1.
Repositories are not updated and that forms issue #2, that even using

Code: Select all

sudo apt install openarena
installs the game in similar condition as it was installed by the Software Centre.

Only solution is to download and install the game via web search of its .zip file for the latest version whatsoever available on the web as suggested by JeremyB on the hexchat.

And there was sufficient information though. However, he answer was not of much help. If I needed to find the problem or cause of crash through terminal, the person trying to troubleshoot should've provided a code or something that could've been used in the terminal for finding out the reason of the game crash.
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com

Return to “Beginner Questions”