Skype update error [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Skype update error [Solved]

Post by norm.h »

Update Manager displays a red cross, and I get the error:
"Exception occurred in the refresh thread: <class 'subprocess.CalledProcessError'>".
and
"Failed to fetch https://repo.skype.com/deb/dists/stable ... ckages.bz2 Hash Sum mismatch. Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

When I "Refresh" it tells me "Your system is up to date"

Latest update to Skype for Linux was on Sept 18th, from version 8.20.0.50 to 8.30.0.50
I only have one Skype line in Software Sources - Additional Repositories [see screenshot]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Skype update error

Post by gm10 »

While this shouldn't create a problem with Update Manager (edit: it doesn't, Update Manager just shows you the error message but that does not affect its operation) the issue with the skype repository is with... well, the repository. Just try again later. 8.30.0.50 is still the latest stable version so you're not missing out. ;)
Last edited by gm10 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
rotozeev
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rotozeev »

The same issue on LM19 cinnamon 64bit
gm10

Post by gm10 »

gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:35 am Just try again later.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

Same again this morning.
Mind you, Skype is part of M$ - could that be significant? :?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

norm.h wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:54 am Mind you, Skype is part of M$ - could that be significant? :?
No, that just makes it more surprising, these guys should know how to operate a repository. They may be trying to fix it, those timestamps keep changing:
https://repo.skype.com/deb/dists/stable/, but something on their end is severely misconfigured. Or their server has been hacked, you never know.

Either way, all there is to do is to wait it out. Your package management system is configured to refuse to work with that repository while it cannot be properly authenticated, which it currently cannot because the files on it are inconsistent.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

I was being facetious in my previous post :wink:
Thanks for the explanation - I will do as you advise.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

norm.h wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:11 am I was being facetious in my previous post :wink:
The M$ made that clear enough, I just decided not to bite. 8)

In other news, as of the 2018-09-24 12:21 UTC update to that repo (i.e. 5 minutes ago) the problem has been fixed. Whether it will stay fixed I won't guarantee. :P
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

norm.h wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:54 am Same again this morning.
Mind you, Skype is part of M$ - could that be significant? :?
Only to the paranoid.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
gm10

Post by gm10 »

gm10 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:26 am Whether it will stay fixed I won't guarantee. :P
Good thing I didn't. I still had that repo open in a browser tab, seems something is updating it every couple of minutes, it's broken again. Something seriously wrong on their end.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

I've not had the symptoms detailed in the OP for two days now, so I'll take a chance and mark "Solved"
Thanks for the interest and advice.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Skype update error [Solved]

Post by norm.h »

Update Manager has just given me skypeforlinux 8.31.0.92. 8)

Return to “Beginner Questions”