Reverting USB image writer action

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kaimason
Level 1
Level 1

Reverting USB image writer action

Post by kaimason » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:31 am

In a failed attempt to install Windows 10 on my laptop I clicked on the option "Make bootable USB stick" and USB image writer wrote the Windows 10.iso file to my external hard drive. Now I have given up trying to to install Windows (since it is beyond my capabilities), but my external hard drive cannot be used normally anymore, as it seems to be a bootable USB for something I cant even install. How do i "unwrite?" this so i can again copy files to and from this hard drive? Is it possible? How do I revert it back to a normal external hard drive? I didnt know how to phrase this question in google and couldnt find any help so thats why i ask here

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Reverting USB image writer action

Post by AscLinux » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:02 pm

In case you want to use it with Linux only.

Code: Select all

sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdX
Where X is the external drive. Probably sdb, but you need to be sure. Otherwise you may overwrite something you want to keep.
This command will tell you what block devices you have connected to your box.

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
In case you need to use it with non-Linux machines you need to create the partition table and probably format it exFAT.

kaimason
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kaimason » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:22 pm

I'm afraid i have little to no idea what that means, i have no experience whatsoever with this side of Linux, what do I do with that code?

Lord Boltar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lord Boltar » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:32 pm

If you are wanting to install a dual boot system generally you install Windows first then install Linux. Linux can handle Windows, Windows cannot handle Linux

The Linux image writer cannot handle Windows

If you are trying to make a Windows boot USB from a Linux machine I use WoeUSB for that. WoeUSB is made to make a Bootable Windows USB from Linux

Install WoeUSB in Ubuntu or Linux Mint via PPA

use the following commands in your terminal or just copy and paste

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 - enter password then push enter

sudo apt-get update - then push enter

sudo apt-get install woeusb - then push enter

If you need to reformat the drive plug the drive into your USB port and use USB Stick Formatter and format it to FAT32

Hope this helps

gm10
Level 11
Level 11

Post by gm10 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:51 pm

kaimason wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:22 pm
I'm afraid i have little to no idea what that means, i have no experience whatsoever with this side of Linux, what do I do with that code?
To help you sort through everything you're being bombarded with here, this part is the one you want to be able to write to your stick again:
Lord Boltar wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:32 pm
If you need to reformat the drive plug the drive into your USB port and use USB Stick Formatter and format it to FAT32
You can find the USB Stick Formatter tool in your Mint menu.

fabien85
Level 6
Level 6

Post by fabien85 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:52 pm

Lord Boltar wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:32 pm
If you need to reformat the drive, plug the drive into your USB port and use USB Stick Formatter and format it to FAT32
That's the part answering the original question.

Edit: damn, gm10 was faster than me!

kaimason
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kaimason » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:55 pm

I ran through the steps from both replies in the terminal, my external is now empty, but i cant copy any files to it, as it says it is read-only. Any way to fix this?
Regarding woeUSB, I copied the code into terminal, and it seems to have run, but i have no idea what it actually did, and i cant find woeUSB on in my downloads or files.

kaimason
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kaimason » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks for the clarification! I was able to reformat successfully and my external is now working as before. I also found the woe USB in the same place as the USB stick formatter. Thank you all very much for all the help!

Return to “Newbie Questions”