Nvidia drivers not detecting GPU

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
joeljoel
Level 1
Level 1

Nvidia drivers not detecting GPU

Post by joeljoel » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Ok so this is my first time ever on Linux. Everything regarding the installation went smoothly, I then installed the NVIDIA drivers through the drivers manager. I restarted my machine but after going to the Nvidia GUI it doesnt show me any options regarding my GPU. I've tried blacklisting the nouveau driver (Although i cant say for sure that ive did it right) and Ive tried this topic https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/176 but some steps like 'After the reboot you'll be promted to run in low graphics mode. Accept it and sign into your account.' dont work for me (the pop up doesnt show). My GPU is a Asus strix GTX 970

Laurent85
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Nvidia drivers not detecting GPU

Post by Laurent85 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:20 pm

Did you disable Secure Boot in the bios settings ?

joeljoel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joeljoel » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:37 pm

Laurent85 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:20 pm
Did you disable Secure Boot in the bios settings ?
I disabled it and it worked, thanks! Do you mind explaining me why the drivers weren't working with secure boot on?

Laurent85
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Laurent85 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:54 pm

joeljoel wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:37 pm
Do you mind explaining me why the drivers weren't working with secure boot on?
Secure Boot is an UEFI feature enforcing kernel and drivers to be signed by an authoritative key. As the Nvidia driver is proprietary and not signed it won't load with Secure Boot enabled.

Return to “Newbie Questions”