[SOLVED] Can't login to my Linux mint through the GUI screen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Miknun_1

[SOLVED] Can't login to my Linux mint through the GUI screen

Post by Miknun_1 »

Hi
I have had to open an another account in order to ask this question.
I am running Linux mint on my Del Inspiron machine.
The last action l took on that machine was to delete the earliest timeshift recorded on the machine. I did this after l found out that my disc space was almost full. I had set Timeshift to record every day, not realising how much space it used.
I now can get the GUI screen to login but it keeps coming back when I login with the correct information. I can open the terminal by using F2 and login there but l don't know what code to use to correct my problem.
Following other answers to similar problems, l have found that l do not have Virtual box running.
I would appreciate any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Can't login to my Linux mint through the GUI screen

Post by thx-1138 »

...the usual 'fix' is rm ~/.Xauthority && rm ~/.ICEauthority...
Miknun_1

Post by Miknun_1 »

Hi
I entered that but got no response!
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...did you rebooted afterwards?
Miknun_1

Post by Miknun_1 »

I have repeated the operation. This time I gained a response, reporting that ICEauthority could not be removed as it didn't exist. I rebooted but still can't login through the GUI.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Are you sure there is indeed enough free space in there? You could try re-installing & re-configuring lightdm as well.

...there's various things that you could try out, or else,
just back-up your data, and then use one of your Timeshift snapshots to restore things back to what they were.
Miknun_1

(Solved) Re: Can't login to my Linux mint through the GUI screen

Post by Miknun_1 »

I have managed to login again, thank goodness.
I have turned off Timeshift until I can get the space and storage correct. That will mean posting another question to get my dvd writer to work.
But thank you for your help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”