need help recovering deleted files

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
magicchance

need help recovering deleted files

Post by magicchance »

Six months ago I freed up space on my HD by deleting around 100G of files. But now I need some of them back. FYI, my PC has been off during this time (I was away on a trip), and this disc space has not been over-written by new files since the deletion occurred. Can this be done?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rbmorse

Re: need help recovering deleted files

Post by rbmorse »

It's possible, depending. We need to know the file system the partition holding the lost files in using.
magicchance

Post by magicchance »

rbmorse wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:00 pm It's possible, depending. We need to know the file system the partition holding the lost files in using.
I'm a total noob. I didn't create any extra partitions upon installation, just used the standard one or two that come with. I'm happy to provide any other info, if you can show me what you need and how to find it via the Terminal, etc.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Duplicate topic deleted, please don't double post. If you'd like your topic to be moved, please let us know. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Here is what you are looking for. I have not needed to use it, so I cannot help you along.

TestDisk (which includes PhotoRec) is available for install with either the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager.

Here is their official website (links on the left may be where you want to start) Take a look at both TestDisk and PhotoRec. Good luck.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/

Return to “Beginner Questions”