video and audio playback issue

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
otlichnik73
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:20 pm

video and audio playback issue

Post by otlichnik73 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:40 am

Hi everyone; I originally thought my issue was with youTube only, so you may have seen my similar post.
However, just realized that my issue is not just YouTube.

1. I can not play video files - first frame appears as a still image, video would not play in media player (In VLC, video plays with no sound)
2. I can not play audio files in either media player or VLC
3. In Browsers, both Firefox and Chromium, YouTube video would not play, giving the message "try restarting your device"

If I reboot, the problem disappears for a while, then re-occurs later
Help?...
First Port of Call for Windows Refugees: https://switchtolinuxdesktop.wordpress.com/

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4319
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

Re: video and audio playback issue

Post by Hoser Rob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 am

First you should make sure mint-meta-codecs in installed ... Mint used to come with all those codecs pre installed but no longer. WHile, VLC doesn't need them so that doesn't apply in its case it does with other apps. Also, with any media issues you should have mediainfo-gui installed too.

Second, there's no useful system info there. Copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

otlichnik73
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:20 pm

Re: video and audio playback issue

Post by otlichnik73 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:24 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 am
First you should make sure mint-meta-codecs in installed ... Mint used to come with all those codecs pre installed but no longer. WHile, VLC doesn't need them so that doesn't apply in its case it does with other apps. Also, with any media issues you should have mediainfo-gui installed too.

Second, there's no useful system info there. Copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
codecs installed
here is the output you asked for thanks!

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Lab1 Kernel: 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 3397
           Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: K01 v02.05 date: 05/07/2012
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-3770 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 27138
           clock speeds: max: 3900 MHz 1: 1596 MHz 2: 1596 MHz 3: 1596 MHz
           4: 1596 MHz 5: 1596 MHz 6: 1596 MHz 7: 1596 MHz 8: 1596 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Desktop
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-34-generic
Network:   Card: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (13.5% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST500DM002 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 451G used: 56G (14%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.46GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 235 Uptime: 14:35 Memory: 1537.9/7851.7MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
First Port of Call for Windows Refugees: https://switchtolinuxdesktop.wordpress.com/

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4319
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

Re: video and audio playback issue

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:18 am

You're running a 4.15 series kernel which isn't always going to work in 18.3, try reverting to an earlier one.

otlichnik73
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:20 pm

Re: video and audio playback issue

Post by otlichnik73 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:34 am

Hoser Rob wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:18 am
You're running a 4.15 series kernel which isn't always going to work in 18.3, try reverting to an earlier one.
Ah, I see...
Should I stop updating kernels from now on?
First Port of Call for Windows Refugees: https://switchtolinuxdesktop.wordpress.com/

User avatar
catweazel
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7741
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: video and audio playback issue

Post by catweazel » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:52 am

otlichnik73 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:34 am
Hoser Rob wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:18 am
You're running a 4.15 series kernel which isn't always going to work in 18.3, try reverting to an earlier one.
Ah, I see...
Should I stop updating kernels from now on?
No, @Hoser Rob is, I think, incorrectly assuming that kernel 4.15 is not available from the standard repositories for Mint 18.x when it actually is. Stay with the 4.15 series if it's working for you.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

otlichnik73
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:20 pm

Re: video and audio playback issue

Post by otlichnik73 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:01 am

catweazel wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:52 am
otlichnik73 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:34 am
Hoser Rob wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:18 am
You're running a 4.15 series kernel which isn't always going to work in 18.3, try reverting to an earlier one.
Ah, I see...
Should I stop updating kernels from now on?
No, @Hoser Rob is, I think, incorrectly assuming that kernel 4.15 is not available from the standard repositories for Mint 18.x when it actually is. Stay with the 4.15 series if it's working for you.
Cheers, mate - thanks for answering on Friday arvo!
I am still puzzled by my video playback issue, hope it goes away just as mysteriously as it appeared...
So you don't think it's the kernel?
First Port of Call for Windows Refugees: https://switchtolinuxdesktop.wordpress.com/

User avatar
catweazel
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7741
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: video and audio playback issue

Post by catweazel » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:03 am

otlichnik73 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:01 am
So you don't think it's the kernel?
I don't know. I haven't analysed your problem. One way to find out is to install the 4.4 series kernel and try that. I do know that older hardware has issues with the 4.15 series.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

otlichnik73
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:20 pm

Re: video and audio playback issue

Post by otlichnik73 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:06 am

catweazel wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:03 am
otlichnik73 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:01 am
So you don't think it's the kernel?
I don't know. I haven't analysed your problem. One way to find out is to install the 4.4 series kernel and try that. I do know that older hardware has issues with the 4.15 series.
I am bit scared of regressing the kernel - being an IT dummy...
On the Linux Question forum some guru told me this: "what you describe sounds like a hardware problem.
you have only one graphics and one sound card.
how old is the hardware? maybe it's too new for mint 18.
when have you last fully updated/upgraded your mint?
what's your policy - do you use green updates only, or also orange or even red?"
Would you have any suggestions?
I know this is a curly one...
First Port of Call for Windows Refugees: https://switchtolinuxdesktop.wordpress.com/

User avatar
catweazel
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7741
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: video and audio playback issue

Post by catweazel » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:13 am

otlichnik73 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:06 am
catweazel wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:03 am
otlichnik73 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:01 am
So you don't think it's the kernel?
I don't know. I haven't analysed your problem. One way to find out is to install the 4.4 series kernel and try that. I do know that older hardware has issues with the 4.15 series.
Would you have any suggestions?
I gave you my suggestion. What more do you want?

Installing the 4.4 series kernel doesn't remove your existing kernel so you can safely install 4.4. If you don't get the grub screen at boot, hold down the shift key after your BIOS boot screen displays. You should then be able to use the grub menu to boot from 4.4 or 4.15. If 4.4 doesn't fix the issue and you wish to go back to 4.15 then boot into 4.15 and remove the 4.4 kernel from the within the update manager.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”