nemo claims device is read-only

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PhilBee

nemo claims device is read-only

Post by PhilBee »

I am unable to write to a memory stock using nemo. The error message is "Error while copying to 'SANDISK' - The destination is read-only" Permissions are correct, free space is available and there is no write protect on the usb stick.

If I use cli, I can create new folders and new documents with nano, but I am unable to do the sane using nemo. Syslog shows nothing when the failure occurs and the following dmesg shows that the device is mounted fine with no write protect.

Code: Select all

dmesg:
new high-speed USB device number 14 using ehci-pci
usb 2-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0781, idProduct=5567
usb 2-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 2-1.2: Product: Firebird USB Flash Drive
usb 2-1.2: Manufacturer: SanDisk
usb 2-1.2: SerialNumber: 4C532[[etc..]
usb-storage 2-1.2:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
scsi host6: usb-storage 2-1.2:1.0
scsi 6:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SanDisk  Cruzer Blade     1.26 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] 31266816 512-byte logical blocks: (16.0 GB/14.9 GiB)
sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
sdb: sdb1
sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
I installed Nautilus and was able to create files and folders and paste to the stick.

I then removed nemo from the system and then installed nemo again. Now it works fine. The system updates were up to date, yet there was a significant fault with nemo.

I have not "resolved" the problem, but seem to have found a "fix" (in real-time whilst writing this post). Rather than delete the post (now that the problem is "fixed") I decided to post this for others with similar problems and perhaps for someone to suggest an alternative solution.

How does one protect from other apps failing like this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”