[Solved] Mint won't dual-boot Windows

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Aily
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Mint won't dual-boot Windows

Post by Aily »

Hello,

This may be a trivial issue, but since English isn't my native language, I have problem finding a solution when I google. I may use the wrong words when I do the search.

I decided to re-install both Linux Mint and Windows, to move around my partitions a bit. I started with installing Windows 10 on a partition on a disk other than the SSD-disk where I installed Linux Mint.

Thing is, it won't dual-boat. Mint start without question. I've done this before, but I can't remember having this problem.

The disk with Mint have /boot and /root. Windows is on a partition on the second disk and /home on a third disk alone.

This suddenly felt very messy, but I hope someone understand what my problem is and are able to help me solve it.

Thank you for your time.
/Aily

[Solved]
The drives' boot-order were wrong in BIOS.
Last edited by Aily on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know how to start my computer. (IEC 60417-5009)
vansloneker
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint won't dual-boot Windows

Post by vansloneker »

My guess is, Windows is not in the boot manager. An easy way to solve this is via Grub Customizer. You can install it as described here http://tipsonubuntu.com/2016/10/15/inst ... ntu-16-10/

Ever easier is pressing the boot menu button of your computer during boot and selecting the preferred disc. Since your computer brand and type isn't named I can't tell you what button calls the boot menu but usually you can find it in the user manual.
Unless stated otherwise Mint 18.3-64 XFCE

Return to “Newbie Questions”