Avast Antivirus

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jeff37922
Level 1
Level 1

Avast Antivirus

Post by jeff37922 »

Do I need any kind of antivirus program on Linux? Or are viruses mainly a problem for Windows users? If I need one, would Avast work on Linux, or is there something else that's better?

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Avast Antivirus

Post by AZgl1500 »

No need for an anti-virus program on Linux at all.

don't fall for those scams.

for windows, yeah, it needs a helping hand.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

a lot of folks do like to use CCleaner, but they generally don't know,
that piraform.com which is it's owner - was bought out by Avast, the A/V company.
- as piraform.com has a add-on product, which is part of it's A/V suite that competes directly with CCleaner.

but - that's on the Windows System, and thus is not relevant to your LinuxMint System.
ie: you don't need any A/V on your LinuxMint System.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pierre wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:51 pm
a lot of folks do like to use CCleaner, but they generally don't know,
that piraform.com which is it's owner - was bought out by Avast, the A/V company.
- as piraform.com has a add-on product, which is part of it's A/V suite that competes directly with CCleaner.

but - that's on the Windows System, and thus is not relevant to your LinuxMint System.
ie: you don't need any A/V on your LinuxMint System.
8)
What strikes me as odd is that there is linux malware out there yet not many, if any, of the regulars are actually concerned by it.

https://www.computerworlduk.com/galleri ... s-3634006/
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3156931 ... ut-it.html
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi jeff37922,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Linux Mint users do not need an anti-virus application installed and it is not recommended although you can.

Previous post
Need for an antivirus.? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=238726&hilit=maldet

I do not think Avast offers a current free version for home users, but they seem to have a paid for version for businesses.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

as a General Rule - - you don't need any A/V on your Linux System.

but that Malware is something else - - it often is Browser Based, rather than Operating System Based,
and it can affect your Linux System's Web Browser & so you could us a Malware Blocker in your Browser.

then again, it's not something that I'm doing on any of my PCs,
as I've figured that the attack can't do too much damage, unlike what could be done to any M$ based system.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

One of our members, Pjotr, has a great Linux website, and one of his articles is about why you don't need an antivirus in Linux, and in fact may expose your computer to greater risk by installing one.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

wassa350
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wassa350 »

Hi, on the topic of Antivirus, if I am using VMware on my Linux Mint PC and running a virtual Windows PC which has Internet access through the host Linux PC, is it possible that this could cause an virus/malware issue on the host Linux Mint box??????

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi pierre, hi jimallyn...pierre, you mentioned "you could use a malware blocker in your browser"...up until today, i wasnt aware of these except in windows and macs that use an a/v that have these also for the browsers...now malwarebytes has a stand alone for the browser...i started a thread on this earlier today and looking for feedback...link is below...DAMIEN

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=278807&p=1534186#p1534186
ORDO AB CHAO

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

@wassa350:
What happens inside a virtual machine, stays within the confines of the virtual machine. Since you browse the web using whatever browser you use in the Windows guest, any infection only affects the guest. Also, as long as the host machine's directories are not exposed to the VM, you should be fine. And even though you shared a directory between the host and the VM, chances are there is no significant effect on the host since the malware only targeted your Windows guest. Say, you downloaded some random EXE, MSI, what-have-you Windows executable to the shared directory. The file will run under Windows but won't get that far in the host. Linux doesn't know how to interpret machine code designed to run on Windows, unless of course, you have WINE installed on the host or the shared directory is used by an application on the host that is capable of interpreting and executing machine code in that shared directory.

It goes without saying, apply contemporary and best security practices with a healthy serving of common sense and you should be okay.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

Say, you downloaded some random EXE...
... so, apart from really, really bad websites, it usually takes a (user) interaction.
Unfortunately, mouse clicks and common sense rarely interact with each other.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Faust
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Faust »

catweazel wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:57 pm
What strikes me as odd is that there is linux malware out there yet not many, if any, of the regulars are actually concerned by it.
Well I , for one , am concerned about it , and I keep a constant weather-eye on the situation .

Most of what I see is either of the proof-of-concept variety ,and I can't find any well-documented real-world infections ,
OR malware aimed at Linux servers ( ie. the majority of servers ) but designed to infect MS users ( one of the few sensible uses of ClamAV etc.)
Of course , the very nature of GNU/Linux systems makes it much more difficult for malware to actually do anything useful/destructive ,
compared to the almost limitless potential for causing havoc on Windows systems ( eg. via Registry changes and privilege escalation ) .

But nasty stuff targeting LInux is definitely out there , no mistake about that .
Example : credential-less command execution

Here's a very recent report :-
https://threatpost.com/local-privilege- ... ss/137748/

And remote privilege escalation on Linux has been successfully demonstrated in earlier cases :-
Hmm - on second thoughts , maybe shouldn't post that link ( send a pm if interested ) .

But I will maintain my " watching brief " and I trust that you and others will be doing the same 8)

PS - none of this makes a convincing case for GNU/Linux needing an AV , IMO .
Last edited by Faust on Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Faust wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:32 am
catweazel wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:57 pm
Most of what I see is either of the proof-of-concept variety...
But nasty stuff targeting LInux is definitely out there , no mistake about that .
Not a proof of concept: https://www.zdnet.com/article/meet-tori ... han-mirai/
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Faust
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Faust »

catweazel wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:46 am

Not a proof of concept: https://www.zdnet.com/article/meet-tori ... han-mirai/
Yep , that one is interesting / troubling , and certainly goes beyond proof-of-concept
I hadn't seen it before , thanks for posting !

And I note that your quote included the qualifying remarks I made , and I respect that .
We are in agreement that this stuff is "out there" , and needs watching :)
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Until now most Linux machines have been quite immune to attacks , but as Linux rises in popularity, It will be attacked if for no other reason than it will be a Challenge to the writer of malware. So we need to be diligent and not bury our collective heads in the sand. Keep current with updates and use good personal computer practice by not visiting sites that are known problems , some free gaming sites are quite bad in this respect. But most A/V software is not really useful on linux. At least that has been my experience. The article that's been cited above is a good one https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security
This page is one that ranks some web sites as particularly dangerous https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/websites- ... t-malware/ again this is mostly a MS problem, but still bears watching.

and the pages catweazel posted also bear watching, for now be careful and enjoy your linux freedom :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

ummm,
about the only "bad sites" I cruise through are Linux Mint Forums and my motorcycle forum

guess I am just not dirty enough to worry about malware :shock:
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:09 am
ummm,
about the only "bad sites" I cruise through are Linux Mint Forums and my motorcycle forum
So that's a forum for hackers and other users of a subversive, underground, noncommercial-so-probably-illegal operating system, and a forum for bikers (no further explanation needed). :shock: *shiver*

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

Moem wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:06 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:09 am
ummm,
So that's a forum for hackers and other users of a subversive, underground, noncommercial-so-probably-illegal operating system, and a forum for bikers (no further explanation needed). :shock: *shiver*
so what makes you think that?
it is legal software, and hosted by the largest motorcycle forum host in the world.

oh, you meant this forum, oh, ok.....

and you use the term 'bikers' negatively? for shame....

this is my ride

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Sorry, it was a feeble attempt at a joke... as you probably know by now, I'm a biker myself.
And I use the term 'hacker' positively in daily life because most of my friends are hackers (no, they're not computer criminals).

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

Moem wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:43 pm
Sorry, it was a feeble attempt at a joke... as you probably know by now, I'm a biker myself.
And I use the term 'hacker' positively in daily life because most of my friends are hackers (no, they're not computer criminals).
that okay,no problem at all, I think you just used the wrong emoticon, as that is what I keyed on.

My yellow bike, and I took a ride today, met up with a friend about an hour away, and then we went another 1.25 hours on to Ponca City, Oklahoma to enjoy some good food at Enrique's Mexican Restaurant. it is definitely a 5 start family owned and operated enterprise. will go back some day.

here is my SPOT tracker map

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/fac ... yo4CbCZmdR

it can be moved around, zoomed in, convert to Satellite view and see where we ate at the airport, upper left corner is where the restaurant is.
Rstaurant.png
Rstaurant.png (110.18 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Newbie Questions”