Problem with loading speed of thumbnails

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
XILNU
Level 1
Level 1

Problem with loading speed of thumbnails

Post by XILNU »

Hello!

I have a problem with loading speed of thumbnails.

I have many photos, and not uncommon that one folder can contain hundreds of photos.

There seem to be quite a delay in loading the thumbnails. I can see the thumbnails running on the screen while system is loading them for few seconds.

I think it is most noticeable on the first load, then it's smoother.

Is there any way to speed it up? Couldn't the system load the thumbnails already before even opening the folder?

Sometimes, for some reason i have also another problem with thumbnails. The thumbnails are on wrong files. And i need to fix it by removing thumbnail cache, or restart system.

OS is Sylvia Cinnamon 18.3 64bit, 12 gb memory.

Haven't noticed this so clearly on other OSs tried before.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Problem with loading speed of thumbnails

Post by catweazel »

XILNU wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:47 am 12 gb memory.
That won't help. You should consult your motherboard's manual to find out if it puts the RAM into slow, single channel mode with an unmatched set of RAM.

Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Note that it's a capital F in that command, followed by lower case xz
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

This advice of mine might not be what's asked for, but I have had the same problem in 18.2 and 18.3 and in LM19. I got so bothered about it, that I disabled the showing of miniatures altogether.

Sorry if my translation into english isnt correct:

I selected: filemanagement
I selected: edit / preferences / "previewdisplay" (could have been translated differently)
I selected: show miniatures
And finally I selected NEVER.

Gives me some peace of mind when I am browsing through my computer that I do not have to see long lists of miniatures being displayed at an anoyingly slow pace. Takes about 30 seconds to have all those miniatures being displayed correctly. That was the reason I disabled the showing of miniatures altogether.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

XILNU wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:47 am I think it is most noticeable on the first load, then it's smoother.

Is there any way to speed it up? Couldn't the system load the thumbnails already before even opening the folder?

Sometimes, for some reason i have also another problem with thumbnails. The thumbnails are on wrong files. And i need to fix it by removing thumbnail cache, or restart system.
Each time you clear the cache then the first time you open a folder all the files in it have to be read and thumbnails generated for them, so that would be one explanation in this context.

I'm not sure about thumbnails on the wrong files. If it's just for some of them, I guess hash collisions are possible, otherwise sounds like some bug.
XILNU
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XILNU »

catweazel wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:32 am
XILNU wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:47 am 12 gb memory.
That won't help. You should consult your motherboard's manual to find out if it puts the RAM into slow, single channel mode with an unmatched set of RAM.

Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Note that it's a capital F in that command, followed by lower case xz
I tried to figure out the dual-channel things but i'm not totally sure. My BIOS isn't very informative about this. It doesn't tell is the memory in single or dual-channel mode. Just saying "unganged". It could be that the memory isn't in the dual-channel mode. I have 4 slots and there is 2 different size of memories. 2x4GB and 2x2GB.

Could anyone confirm to me how i should place the memories to possible get the dual-channel mode? Here's the manual: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M4 ... sk_Manual/
Page 2-10 in english version.

In my understanding if in correct slots, the memory should b working as dual channel, or at least part of it.

That hardware information command, i don't like to paste all the data here. But yes, my PC is bit low-end, X4 CPU and no SSD, it of course affect something. But just saying, i haven't noticed earlier so clear slow loading with another Distro i had.
XILNU
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XILNU »

gm10 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:16 am I'm not sure about thumbnails on the wrong files. If it's just for some of them, I guess hash collisions are possible, otherwise sounds like some bug.
The times this has happened, there was many thumbnails on mismatching files. Can't say was it affecting on every photos, or all files, or was it just one folder. Haven't done very deep research on the problem. Just it was affecting to many files in my photo folder. Luckily it haven't happened many times. This year maybe 3-4 times.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

If you don't post your system information, we can't advise on the system. ;) But I wouldn't worry about the dual channel thing. Some very specific use cases aside (and loading thumbnails from disk ain't one of them) it has little to no impact on your system's performance. Plus it's likely set up correctly, anyway.

Regarding the wrong thumbnails, let's just keep that in mind until you encounter it again. We can try to reproduce it then once we have an example to investigate (assuming it's an image you will be able to share).
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

XILNU wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:53 am ... That hardware information command, i don't like to paste all the data here. But yes, my PC is bit low-end, X4 CPU and no SSD, it of course affect something. But just saying, i haven't noticed earlier so clear slow loading with another Distro i had.
If it's that important to you replace things you don't want others to read with asterisks or whatever. No one's going to be able to help very much without even basic system info. I cannot think of a more routine request.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
XILNU
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XILNU »

This thing is just small annoyance :) Just asked if anyone has noticed/experienced similar. Thanks for replies so far :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”