Linux Mint 12 Lisa 64 bit

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chinook
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 12 Lisa 64 bit

Post by chinook »

My Linux Mint 12 Lisa is not responding. Haven't used it in awhile so presume its no longer supported.
How do I go about installing Mint 19? I still have the Mint 12 bootable disc. Can I overwrite it with the latest version and reinstall it?
What is the best way to update? Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Linux Mint 12 Lisa 64 bit

Post by JoeFootball »

chinook wrote:Haven't used it in awhile so presume its no longer supported.
Yes, support for LM 12 ended over five years ago.
chinook wrote:How do I go about installing Mint 19? ... What is the best way to update?
Backup your important files, and allow the LM 19 installer to use the entire hard drive. It will destroy whatever is there, and start anew.

For your consideration, presuming you have older hardware, you can also try LM 18.3, which is still supported until April 2021, should you find that LM 19 doesn't perform well for you.

Joe
chinook
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chinook »

Thanks Joe,
I'd previously partitioned the hard drive so will look for the right place to reinstall, leaving the rest of the hard drive.
chinook
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chinook »

Joe,
From the install screen of the Mint 18.2 I can see the Mint 12 where it would make sense to install the new files. Leaving the windows files as they are.
But not sure how to do this.
I have Gparted on the windows side should I delete Mint 12 from there? Then drop 18.2 into that spot? How to do that?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

chinook wrote:From the install screen of the Mint 18.2 I can see the Mint 12 where it would make sense to install the new files. Leaving the windows files as they are. But not sure how to do this.
ok, you didn't say you had Windows, and it sounds like you want to have a dual boot system.

I would read the Linux Mint Installation Guide (it's available in several languages) for details on what to do, especially the "Install Linux Mint" and "Multi-boot" sections.

And backup your important files, not only from LM 12, but on the Windows side as well. For all the reasons you can't think of. You should be doing this even if you weren't installing a new OS. :)
chinook wrote:I have Gparted on the windows side should I delete Mint 12 from there? Then drop 18.2 into that spot? How to do that?
No need to delete anything. If the partitions already exist, then I would just direct the LM 18 installer to use the existing partition(s) that LM 12 is using. It will overwrite whatever is there. You can do this via the "Something else" option (as detailed in the Installation Guide documentation).

Joe
chinook
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chinook »

Joe, All is backed up as I realize working in partitions is very delicate.
When attempting to install over the /dev/sda6 ext4 where the mint 12 Lisa is located, I get a message saying "No root file system. No root file system is defined. Please correct from the partitioning menu."
Should I revert to installing next to Windows?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, chinook.
Should I revert to installing next to Windows?
No, this should not be necessary.

In the same window where you select /dev/sda6 as the target partition for installing, there should be a choice of defining / as the mount point for /dev/sda6. By doing so the installer will know that the root file system / is on /dev/sda6.

(Click screenshot to enlarge. Press <Alt><Cursor Left> to return here)

Note:
The exact disk layout on your machine will look different. The screenshot displays the disk layout of my machine, where I am typing now. Yet, by accident the active partition with Mint 19 on it is /dev/sda6 here as well, which is mounted as / (root file system).

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

chinook wrote:"No root file system. No root file system is defined. Please correct from the partitioning menu."
Augmenting Karl's above advice, see this page of the Linux Mint Installation Guide.

About halfway down there's a section that starts, "If you want to manage the partitions or specify which partitions to use, select Something else.", where it demonstrates how to set the Mount Point of a partition, where you want / (i.e., the root file system).

Joe
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, JoeFootball.

You are absolutely right. Why only did I try to re-invent the wheel and post my gparted screenshot, although a much better installer screenshot is available in the Official Installation Guide? :roll:

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
chinook
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chinook »

Karl, Joe,
I have almost the identical screen as you are showing but the install doesn't respond to a / under mount point, or a box check under format
In the +- Change box there is not an option for /dev/sada6
It looks like Mint 18.3 is bigger than Mint 12. I wonder is there is not enough room to install without expanding /dev/sda6 ext4 from 73682Mb?
Many thanks
Brian
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, chinook.

You mark the /dev/sda6 line. Then you click on the [Change] button, not the [+] button, because /dev/sda6 already exists. You leave everything in the dialogue box as it is. You keep the old size. You keep the filesystem type ext4. You only make sure that the Mount Point is set to /.
See the screenshot in the Official Installation Guide below the screenshot, which I had posted above.

HTH,
Karl
Lifeline
chinook
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chinook »

Karl , Joe,
Thanks for this I know I must be trying your patience.
See screen shot. The error message is still there after /. is set
B
chinook
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chinook »

Joe, Karl,
I tried inserting / instead of /. and it worked!
My problem was confusing the /dev/sada6 with the ext4 in the drop down menu. It looked like the /dev/sada6 was missing.
Have continued the installation and thank you both for your help.
chinook
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chinook »

Joe, Karl,
The installation now hangs when trying to save the packages. Should I skip them and allow the install to finish.?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, chinook.

I would not recommend doing so.
Which Mint 19 ISO file had you downloaded? I mean what was the precise filename? Did it have a "V2" in its filename?
Some users recommend not connecting to the internet during the installation. I guess because they have experienced issues like you are experiencing now. Has never happened to me.
Nonetheless, I would start all over from scratch and make sure that there is no internet connection while installing.
Once Mint 19 has been installed and once the installed system has been booted you can still accept and install the available software updates

Best regards,
Karl
Lifeline
chinook
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chinook »

Hi Karl and Joe
It was Mint 18.2 64 bit and there was no V2 in the File name.
I successfully installed this on another (old think pad) and I worked perfectly over writing the old Windows 7 using the same DVD disc.
This machine runs way better now than previously.
I erased 18.2 and loaded the 18.3 ISO and tried installing it on the first machine. Again it Hung while in the final stages.
I tried again declining the WIFI option. This time it hung after checking to "something else" option.
I will try again using a thumb drive ISO instead of the DVD and let you know what happens.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

If you're using rewriteable DVDs, make sure you fully erase them before writing the Mint ISO; otherwise you may get strange issues like this. I did when I started out with Mint, using a DVD+RW for the initial installation.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

chinook wrote:It was Mint 18.2 64 bit and there was no V2 in the File name.
LM 19 was the release that had a V2 in the ISO file name (the initial release had an installation bug for some people).

Be sure that you're verifying the ISO before you burn it to DVD, USB, etc. Also, if burning to DVD, write using the slowest speed your drive will support, even if the discs claim otherwise.

Joe
chinook
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chinook »

Hi Karl and Joe,
I've finally had the chance to get back to the Linux 19 64bit upgrade to Mint 12.
Using a flash drive for the ISO file it worked first time on my Aspire laptop
Will now go back to my old Think Pad and upgrade the Mint 18.2 to 19 32bit.
Many thanks for your assistance and suggestions.
Problem solved

Return to “Beginner Questions”