[SOLVED] Samsung S6 Phone USB Driver - Toshiba L675 Laptop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jackerbes
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Samsung S6 Phone USB Driver - Toshiba L675 Laptop

Post by jackerbes »

I am running Mint 19 64 bit on a Toshiba Satellite L675D laptop and it will not recognize a Samsung S6 cell phone when it is connected. It will charge the phone but I cannot see the contexts of the phone and the phone is not seeing itself as connected either (I would normally have to Allow access for the laptop on the phone).

The is what I see with the lsusb command:

Code: Select all

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f2:b1d6 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd CNF9055 Toshiba Webcam
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
I have googled and searched the Samsung and Toshiba pages and even called and chatted with their support "experts" but no one could point me to a driver...

Any suggestions? If anyone has found drivers that worked on any of the AMD 64 dual core CPU laptops I'm willing to give them a try.

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 18.3 and 19, 64-bit, Cinnamon, Lenovo ThinkPad T520 laptop, ASUS Z-97 desktop, Samsung S6 Android phone
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, ME, USA
coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Samsung S6 Phone USB Driver - Toshiba L675 Laptop

Post by coffee412 »

I have a Samsung S6 and using Mint 18.3 and it connects fine. Not exactly what you want to hear but at least you know it does work :)

Have you turned on usb debugging on the phone? I do believe that has to be on for it to work.

When I plug mine in to the usb port it asks me to allow access. I choose yes and then it mounts the phone as a drive.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar »

You don't need a driver - Steps to access Android Devices in Buntu based OS - this worked for my S7

FUSE file system for MTP enabled devices mtpfs using your synaptic package manager and search to get them

go-mtpfs

libmtp9 - most likely installed already

jmtpfs

Plug in your Android device using USB cable in

From the Drop down menu on your Android device select "Conneted to USB in Charging Mode" then select "File Transfer" Transfer files to Windows or MAC (MTP) you can now access all your folders on your device
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing
jackerbes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jackerbes »

Thanks for the replies...

I had suspected that I must have been missing something because I had not ever had any problems connecting and seeing both devices and being able to move files between them as I progressed from Mint 16 to 19 and 32 and 64 bit implementations until I got to this Toshiba.

I won't be able to mess with it until tomorrow but will follow through on the suggestions.

I bought the Toshiba for it's larger display and only paid $8 for it at a yard sale. I have it working pretty good now except for the phone connections thing. I had to add a new display and boost the memory from 4GB to 8GB to get it to perform similar to the Lenovo it is going to replace but it looks like it has a chance at becoming a $100 or so upgrade for my ageing eyes (the larger display is making things much easier to see).

Will let you know how it goes tomorrow...

Jack
Mint 18.3 and 19, 64-bit, Cinnamon, Lenovo ThinkPad T520 laptop, ASUS Z-97 desktop, Samsung S6 Android phone
jackerbes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jackerbes »

Now it is working!

I found and installed this program - go-mtpfs

These two were already found as installed:

libmtp9 - most likely installed already
jmtpf

And I enabled the "File Transfer" setting too and eventually I got the prompt to Deny or Allow access and then was able to see all the data on my phone.

So my problem is solved! Thanks again for the help.

Jack

Return to “Newbie Questions”