Authorization password

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
notned
Level 1
Level 1

Authorization password

Post by notned »

So I grew tired of entering my relatively complex password for updates and I changed it to something simple. Here's the catch. What I would swear in court is the new password isn't, and I didn't write anything down. I'm not sure what my question is. I think the easiest thing for me is going to be back up and reinstall. I guess I want to make sure that I'm not missing anything easy and to be a cautionary tale.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
notned
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Authorization password

Post by notned »

I meant to say 2012 MacBook Pro and 17.3
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

I feel for you. I dont know an easy way out unfortunately. Linux passwords are a very good safeguard. If reinstalling isnt a problem I would advice you to do so...

I have had something similar happen to me once with my pin code for my bank card. I saw a program on tv that gave tips for remembering pin codes. I got so confused with the ways to remember pin codes on that tv program that a day later I truly had forgotten my pin code. My card was taken in, because I had entered 3 wrong pin codes in a row.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

notned wrote:I think the easiest thing for me is going to be back up and reinstall. I guess I want to make sure that I'm not missing anything easy and to be a cautionary tale.
It's a little tedious, but here's another option for your consideration...

Forgotten password: how to recover from this in Linux Mint

Joe
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

JoeFootball, that work around method shows that people who really value their security should always have to encrypt their homedirectory. Otherwise anyone who steals a laptop with LinuxMInt on it has total acces to all the private files with this workaround. Dont know if this is common knowledge among first users of LinuxMint. I didnt know it and I have been using LinuxMint for over a year now.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

carum carvi wrote:...has total acces to all the private files with this workaround.
And even without the workaround as well. If someone has physical access to a computer, the hard drive can be removed, and mounted as a separate volume on another computer, without the need to boot the OS that resides on the compromised drive.
carum carvi wrote:... should always have to encrypt their homedirectory.
Or have full disk encryption, or just use an encrypted container on a partition for their sensitive files.

Joe
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

JoeFootball wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:30 pm Or have full disk encryption, or just use an encrypted container on a partition for their sensitive files.

Joe, what's the best advice you can give newbies concering encryption software for seperate files? I have read during install that encryption of the entire disk is not advised for newbies, only for advanced users. I have tried it once anyway, although I am still a newbie, and it worked smoothly, but difficulties might arise when things go wrong so I have heard.

For seperate files I only can think of VeraCrypt software. But is there software available in the software manager that encrypts files easily?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

carum carvi wrote:Joe, what's the best advice you can give newbies concering encryption software for seperate files?
A new conversation warrants a new topic. :)

Joe

Return to “Beginner Questions”