[Solved] Linux Mint : Black screen with mouse pointer after login.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
I_like_d0nuts

[Solved] Linux Mint : Black screen with mouse pointer after login.

Post by I_like_d0nuts »

Hi all, I have been using Linux Mint (Cinnamon desktop) without issue for some time. Today when I started the computer and logged in I was greeted with a black screen and a mouse pointer only, no desktop.

I searched and found posts relating to the same issue on Google where a solution has been found, however, the solutions offered do not work for me or seem to be specific to the user's computer. A couple of examples of what I found are shown below:

viewtopic.php?t=126293

viewtopic.php?t=256516

I also came across this the post listed below and attempted to follow the instruction, however, when I pressed the Tab key nothing happened. I do not understand enough about the instructions to be able to work out the issue.

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842

Whilst I use and love Linux, I do not have the skills to be able to troubleshoot and resolve this issue.

Could someone please take a look and help me with this?

My machine's specs are :

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770@3.40GHzx4
GPU: Nvidia GK106 (GeForce GTX 660)
Memory: 16 GiB DDR3 (Corsair Vengeance)
Motherboard: ASUS B85M-G
Power: Corsair CX750M

Should you require logs please include an instruction as to how to produce them, thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
N3wb

Re: Linux Mint : Black screen with mouse pointer after login.

Post by N3wb »

I'm also relatively new to LM, but I think others can help you better if you post the result of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Also I think in your case, just post the result of this command too:

cat /etc/default/grub
Note: You'll need to change to a non-graphical tty session (Eg: tty1 => Ctrl + Alt + F1). I don't think you'll be able to share screenshot so just take a pic of the result with your mobile OR
if you haven't encrypted your /home partition, save the result of the commands to a file by something like:

inxi -Fxz >> $HOME/filename.txt
and then use a live distro from USB and copy the contents of the file and paste it here.
I_like_d0nuts

Re: Linux Mint : Black screen with mouse pointer after login.

Post by I_like_d0nuts »

Hello N3wb, thank you very much for taking the time to lend some assistance, very kind of you chap.

I have completed the tasks that you suggested, I am not sure why the first photo appears upside down in the post. When you click on it to view it is rotated correctly.

2.jpg
1.jpg
I_like_d0nuts

Linux Mint : Black screen with mouse pointer after login.

Post by I_like_d0nuts »

Please consider this topic as solved/closed. I have received help on another forum that has led to the issue being resolved.
N3wb

Re: [Solved] Linux Mint : Black screen with mouse pointer after login.

Post by N3wb »

Care to share the link where it got resolved? (Just in case others have similar query)

Return to “Beginner Questions”