Make Desktop Icons Bigger (Solved - Sort Of)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sinnis250
Level 3
Level 3

Make Desktop Icons Bigger (Solved - Sort Of)

Post by Sinnis250 »

Hi,

Im running Linux Mint 19 Tara, Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits
With a Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

All I want to know is; can we make the desktop icons even bigger than the system setting "Large"?

In my opinion, this setting is not adequate enough for the size of my screen.
The icons are OK, but they still look rather puny, compared to what I am used to in Mint 17.3 - where we could scale them to virtually any size.

Other than that, Mint 19 is pretty much an excellent OS.

Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Make Desktop Icons Bigger

Post by smurphos »

Unfortunately no is the short answer.

The best you can probably do is adjust your display settings to use a slightly lower resolution across the board.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

The slightly longer answer is that 'Large' is just a name for an icon set... the actual size on the display is determined by the icons in that set. If it's an SVG icon set you can change one number in the display-an-SVG binary and all the SVG icons will appear larger.
Sinnis250
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sinnis250 »

Thanks both for your input.

Its a shame we cant just scale up the icons.
I suppose that’s progress for you. :(

Smurphos, the "slightly lower resolution" option just makes my desktop look hideous.

Mute Ant, you have given me an idea regarding SVG icons, but rather than going down the whole theme design route, I think I'll just tamper with some of the default folder icons on my experimental machine before attempting it on my main machine.

Food for thought.................
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Make Desktop Icons Bigger (Solved - Sort Of)

Post by smurphos »

I'm intrigued - if you work out a good solution please post back.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Beginner Questions”