LM19 and Wine

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

LM19 and Wine

Post by Linux-Bill »

I have need for Wine and a single Windows program that runs well under it. Hence, I am using LM18.3. I have a separate drive for LM19 experimenting, which I was using yesterday again. I did all the updates, etc. Then tried to install Wine again. I even tried jumping through a bunch of the "easy" terminal instructions. No joy! I hate to think what all the failed suggestions may have done to my installation of LM19.

Why is it so difficult to install and run Wine on LM19? Will the problem be mitigated in the future?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
foxtreat
Level 2
Level 2

Re: LM19 and Wine

Post by foxtreat »

Where from are you trying to install wine?
the software manager?
their repository?
playonlinux?

may you say what app you are trying to run as that is crucial to actually running it,some run out of the box,some require tweaking,some just plain can't run

it depends on the Wine team to patch issues,and the app developers to program stable software
Steam and Gaming bröther
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

What exactly does 'no joy' mean? What exactly makes you conclude that it did not work?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

I have installed Wine from the repository in older versions of LM. Each worked well for me and were easy to install. The specific program I require Wine for is called CQ100 and its associated JPG posting QSOTV program.

I expected LM19 to operate in a similar manner to past versions of LM. I expected to install from the repository in a straight and simple manner.

I have been unable to install Wine from the repository in LM19. I went back to a clean install of LM19 and updated it. Then I again tried to install Wine from the repository. Still unable to install and make Wine function.

I do not know of a simpler means to explain my problem. Wine does not install in LM19.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Linux-Bill.

I fail to see what might be so difficult in installing Wine from the official software repositories on Mint 19.
It is as simple as selecting wine-stable from the list of available software packages and installing it. E.g. using Synaptic package manager.
Doing so will give you Wine v3.0.

As you can tell from the terminal command apt-cache below, Wine 3.0 is present on my Mint 19.

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache policy wine-stable; inxi -S
wine-stable:
  Installed: 3.0-1ubuntu1
  Candidate: 3.0-1ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 3.0-1ubuntu1 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
System:    Host: unimatrix0 Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic i686 bits: 32 Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 
           Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Therefore, I wonder what precisely you do in order not to install Wine from the official software repositories successfully?

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

It says Wine 3.0 is there. When I try to install my Windows program - as I always have in past versions of LM - I am not given the choice of Wine. That choice is not there. Hence, I cannot install the program.

That is why I continue to use LM 18.3.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Linux-Bill.

Could you perhaps boot your Linux Mint 19?
Next, please, open a terminal window.
Execute the command

apt-cache policy wine-stable
Mark the complete text output, which apt-cache will display. Paste it into your next reply.
This should clear up whether wine-stable has been installed and from which repository.

What are the exact steps, which you do when you try to install a Windows application through Wine? Could you explain a bit more precisely, because "as I always have in past versions of LM" does not really tell what you have done in the past.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

bill@bill-MS-7A67:~$ apt-cache policy wine-stable
wine-stable:
  Installed: 3.0-1ubuntu1
  Candidate: 3.0-1ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 3.0-1ubuntu1 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
bill@bill-MS-7A67:~$ 
I go to downloads - right click on the exe file.
Right click on OPEN WITH - the choices given are archive manager, mono runtime, and other (none of the others are Wine).
In the past Wine was always listed as a choice on the initial right click. That is why I am stuck.

I
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Linux-Bill.

First: apt-cache suggests that you have correctly installed Wine-Stable from the official (Ubuntu) software repositories. Good.

Second: about the "open with" dialogue box:
Here on Cinnamon in file-manager Nemo, this dialogue box has got an edit box below the list of known applications.
Provided this edit box is present in your file-manager as well, then you could enter /usr/bin/wine-stable in the edit box.
Next either click on the button [Add to list], which will add wine-stable to the list of selectable applications.
Or click on [Use as default], which will make wine-stable the default application to be used whenever you double-click on an a Windows .exe file.

HTH,
Karl
Lifeline
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

OK - it is on the list and is the default. I click on the exe file and NOTHING HAPPENS.

I have been at Linux for several years and just have never had it fight so hard against me. All I can do for tonight - try more tomorrow. It is getting late (for me) on the east coast.

Thanks for the help - you have no idea how much it is appreciated.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Linux-Bill.

Perhaps my conclusion that Wine-Stable had been installed correctly was not correct?
What you could try to verify whether wine-stable is working are the following manual steps:
  • Open a terminal window.
  • Navigate to the Downloads directory. Command cd ~/Downloads
  • Inside the Downloads directory try to invoke the Windows setup application through Wine-Stable: wine ./name_of_exe_file
    Note:
    Replace name_of_exe_file by the actual filename of the setup application. Type the name correctly, including the extension .exe.
Does this work?

Best regards,
Karl
Lifeline
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

I was able to invoke the installation - after what appeared to be completing a rather incomplete prior installation. It started to behave as Wine would the first time it was used by finding and changing various bits. However, it only fixed one piece - then it tried to finish the installation and quit.

I cannot imagine the author(s) of LM19 meant for this to be so difficult. Not after it worked so well on previous versions of LM.

I am stopping at this point and will simply revert to 18.3

Thank you for all the kind help - I just cannot get it to work.

Bill
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

WIne is actually rubbish, what you're experiencing isn't as unusual as you may think.

Searching "linux wine CQ100" will find the wine app database entry pretty if there's one there, but apparently it isn't. The only relevant entry I could find in a small list of hits is this:

https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/inde ... c=109066.0

And I'm not sure how relevant it is. Have you tried the Wine forums? You can't expect WIndows apps to work with Wine though.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
a60man

Post by a60man »

Linux-Bill wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:12 am I was able to invoke the installation - after what appeared to be completing a rather incomplete prior installation. It started to behave as Wine would the first time it was used by finding and changing various bits. However, it only fixed one piece - then it tried to finish the installation and quit.

I cannot imagine the author(s) of LM19 meant for this to be so difficult. Not after it worked so well on previous versions of LM.

I am stopping at this point and will simply revert to 18.3

Thank you for all the kind help - I just cannot get it to work.

Bill
Hi Bill, I have had a similar experience to you, Previous versions of Mint and Wine have worked OK for what I needed, no so with 19. I have posted here viewtopic.php?f=90&t=279602
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

I feel like the cable customer: something is wrong with YOUR TV/computer/etc. Have you tried this and this and this? Have you wasted sufficient of your time trying everything we told you to do and have you waited sufficiently on hold listening to our ads? Then perhaps there really is something wrong with the service you are receiving!

CQ100 works fine - I use it every day. Unless that is a figment of my imagination also! It has continually worked well from under Wine, running from LM 15 through LM18.3 always very easy to install and configure. I am unable to install it under Wine on ML19. I am convinced it is not my stupidity that is causing the problem. End rant and end subject - back to LM18.3.

Thanks to those attempting to help - I appreciate your time and effort. No thanks to those with snide comments - same isn't much help. Hope it makes you feel better.

Return to “Beginner Questions”