Extracting/burning Linux Mint 19 ISO to DVD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
locohombre

Extracting/burning Linux Mint 19 ISO to DVD

Post by locohombre »

Hi, I have been running Mint 18.1 on my laptop for a while, and I've decided to upgrade to Mint 19. I downloaded the 19 ISO but can't get it to extract/burn properly to a DVD. It just pops up a weird dialog box that wants to extract it directly to my HDD and doesn't recognize the DVD. I tried search and got 600 hits that had nothing to do with my question. Also, how would I go about extracting the ISO to a thumb drive? I want a bootable 19 thumb drive in addition to a bootable DVD. I have been using Mint 18.1 since April 2017 but I hardly ever use the forums since I'm a really casual user-net surfing and Libre Office is about the extent of what I do. My box is a HP 635 laptop.

Loco
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Extracting/burning Linux Mint 19 ISO to DVD

Post by all41 »

Do not extract files from the .iso
Burn the .iso to a dvd or usb as an image
You can use the USB Image Writer (included in Mint 18.1) to do this.
If you have access to Windows use a utility such as Rufus or Linux Live USB Creator
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
Last edited by all41 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

So if 18.1 is running satisfactory for you why would you want to upgrade to 19? Not to be impolite or unkind but with what you say you do with it there is no need to upgrade as apart from the cosmetics you will not notice any changes.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

vansloneker wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:59 pm So if 18.1 is running satisfactory for you why would you want to upgrade to 19? Not to be impolite or unkind but with what you say you do with it there is no need to upgrade as apart from the cosmetics you will not notice any changes.
It seems that upgrade to the newest version is part of human activity. We are social animals. :lol:

PS. I still use Mint 17. :wink:
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

The op was not asking "should I upgrade"?
The Mint 19 .iso is already downloaded and the op needed to burn it to dvd/usb.
Perhaps he wanted to use it in the live desktop mode to make a better
decision as whether to install it, or keep what he has for awhile.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

all41 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:01 pm The op was not asking "should I upgrade"?
The Mint 19 .iso is already downloaded and the op needed to burn it to dvd/usb.
Perhaps he wanted to use it in the live desktop mode to make a better
decision as whether to install it, or keep what he has for awhile.
Yes indeed, my bad. :oops:

If burning to DVD, install Xfburn and select "Burn iso" and select the lowest burning speed.

If writing to an USB, I normally use UnetBootin, sometimes Etcher and with problematic cases MX live USB creator, which seems to be the best usb-creator. Unfortunately it works only in MX Linux and antiX.
locohombre

Post by locohombre »

vansloneker wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:59 pm So if 18.1 is running satisfactory for you why would you want to upgrade to 19? Not to be impolite or unkind but with what you say you do with it there is no need to upgrade as apart from the cosmetics you will not notice any changes.
Hey, chill. My main reason is that I've noticed that my web browsers (I use Pale Moon in addition to Firefox) are having issues with some websites. Also, there's a bunch of little things like all the weird stuff in my browsing history that won't go away despite my not having used those sites in ages. I use the drop down menus at the top of the browser windows to access favorite sites (as opposed to bookmarking) and what shows in the menus is increasingly disconnected from what my current browsing preferences are. Also, after 18 months and issues such as the above, I've decided to get a fresh start, and since Linux has no keys and such like Microsoft Windows does, why not?

Also, much thanks to all41 for actually answering my question.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

PaleMoon isn't 100% compatible with all websites indeed. You may want to try Waterfox.
Unless you prevent it to, particularly Firefox will continue tracking and saving your browsing activities, and those can be pretty persistent.
If in Firefox you use a private window (ctrl+ahift+P) for activities you do not want to keep in history, after that window is closed, any history and cookies will be gone.

Good luck installing 19!
scdbackup
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scdbackup »

Hi,

for burning to DVD, you may use this shell commandi, while being in the
directory with the ISO image:

Code: Select all

xorriso -as cdrecord -v -eject dev=/dev/sr0 linuxmint-19-xfce-64bit-v2.iso
The image linuxmint-19-xfce-64bit-v2.iso is already prepared for booting
from USB stick. So no special unpacker program is needed. Just make sure
that you iuse the right device address, not the one of your system disks.
In this example i assume the USB stick is /dev/sdd:

Code: Select all

dd if=linuxmint-19-xfce-64bit-v2.iso of=/dev/sdd bs=4M; sync
Have a nice day :)

Thomas
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Instructions are found in the Read the documentation area on www.linuxmint.com

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... /burn.html
locohombre

Post by locohombre »

I will certainly try Waterfox. Pale Moon was recommended to me on a conservative politics forum as a good alternative to Firefox. On there they believe that Firefox sends your browsing history to a subsidiary of Amazon (Amazon Web Services, I think they called it) every time it's launched, that's what that weird "Connecting..." notice in the tab on launch is doing. Anyway, I use Firefox for any transaction that involves money (Amazon, Ebay, etc) and Pale Moon for social networking and news reading.

Thanks to Thomas/scdbackup for the shell commands. Command line interface is much better than GUI anyway when it comes to in depth technical stuff.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

locohombre wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:32 pm I will certainly try Waterfox. Pale Moon was recommended to me on a conservative politics forum as a good alternative to Firefox. On there they believe that Firefox sends your browsing history to a subsidiary of Amazon (Amazon Web Services, I think they called it) every time it's launched,
I doubt that, from what I read, Mozilla will NOT do that period.

When you log into Amazon, all of the cookies for that site are in use....
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
scdbackup
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scdbackup »

Hi,

the description on
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... /burn.html
could need one or more command line proposals. See
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#record-unix for examples of "xorriso" and
"growisofs".

The pointer to Xfburn could need a few words more about the difference
between "New Data Composition" (unsuitable) and "Burn Image" (suitable).

The warning above the Xfburn statement does not help to find the correct
task in Xfburn. (Further the description "it shouldn’t be an empty DVD
containing an .iso file" is an oxymoron. Let's all sing Scarborough Fair.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas
villandra

Post by villandra »

Well, when I "burn image", I get an iso file on the cd and not the required list of directories.

Dora
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: for the rest: see Dora's thread here, please: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=329185, closing old thread.

Return to “Beginner Questions”