windows in virtualbox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
denism

windows in virtualbox

Post by denism »

HI new to Linux I have installed mint 18.3 on a new hdd, I have then installed windows7 via virtualbox, windows runs, however it shows my cd in devices but does not read the cd if I click open on the cd icon it asks me to insert a cd. any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: windows in virtualbox

Post by AndyMH »

• Did you install from the repository or direct from Oracle? While the recommendation for most software is use the version in the repos, VB is one where the general recommendation is install from Oracle (to get the latest version).
  • Have you installed the extension pack?
  • Have you installed guest additions into windows?
  • Are you a member of the vboxusers group?
  • Have you made the cd drive hot-pluggable?
Screenshot from 2018-10-16 09-30-49.png
Not sure which of the above will fix the problem, but they are the common installation 'errors' with virtualbox.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Beginner Questions”