Resolution settings crash PC

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
foxtreat
Level 2
Level 2

Resolution settings crash PC

Post by foxtreat »

trying to set my laptop to use only the external display

however if i change the resolution or turn of the integrated display causes the laptop to freeze up completely,
using software rendering allows me to change it to what i want but upon reboot it freezes
removing the actual laptop screen doesnt work
help?
info
tested on 18.3 and 19,issue is persistent
everything is latest
no drivers available
HP laptop with AMD cpu and integrated GPU
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Steam and Gaming bröther
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Resolution settings crash PC

Post by catweazel »

foxtreat wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:30 pm trying to set my laptop to use only the external display

however if i change the resolution or turn of the integrated display causes the laptop to freeze up completely,
using software rendering allows me to change it to what i want but upon reboot it freezes
help?
info
everything is latest
no drivers available
Insufficient information. Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Note that it's a capital F in that command, followed by lower case xz.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
miloshev

Post by miloshev »

Hi, I have similar problem with the screen on Dell Inspiron 5150 (quite old laptop - born in 2003). After installation of Xface 19 x32 and reboot the screen stays in a color pattern as it is broken. Nothing can be read or done during this. The screen resolution is 1600x1200 but when I start in compatibility mode it is max 1024x786.
Shall I try with other version of MInt or... I really don't want to go back to Windows..... :(
Thanks.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

miloshev wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:58 am Hi, I have similar problem with the screen on Dell Inspiron 5150
Hello Miloshev,
Welcome to the forum; please start a new topic for your question. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
miloshev

Post by miloshev »

Hi Moem,
I will try an older version of Linux and if the problem is still on I will put it on new topic.
Thanks.
foxtreat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by foxtreat »

catweazel wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:44 am
foxtreat wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:30 pm trying to set my laptop to use only the external display

help?
info
everything is latest
no drivers available
Insufficient information. Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Note that it's a capital F in that command, followed by lower case xz.
the computer just refused to display anything no matter if i held shift or anything,i preinstalled it into mint 17.2 ,then booting while holding shift,and selecting normal booting from the menu made it work,ive had no issue since,it works well enough
thanks everyone for the tips though! it seemed to be a kernel issue,anything 4.xx just did not work,17.3 had a corrupt iso so i just decided to go safe on 17.2
Steam and Gaming bröther

Return to “Beginner Questions”