Thunderbird does not support Lightening now

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobNID

Thunderbird does not support Lightening now

Post by RobNID »

So, Earlier today I downloaded my updates as usual and just as I did it I noticed that T-Bird was one of them. Well, I just got home and upon opening Thunderbird, discovered that my calendar was gone. Went to Addons and it says that Lightening is not supported in the latest version of T-Bird. Now I'm screwed. I've been a windows guy all my life but have been using Mint 18.3 exclusively for almost a year now. I'm lost, don't know how to roll back to the latest version of T-Bird. I downloaded an earlier version and the file is in my downloads folder but I'll be damned if I know how to install it. There is no .exe file or setup file. I could really use some help here but please assume that I don't know much.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Thunderbird does not support Lightening now

Post by smurphos »

Edit to remove links to old Thunderbird versions.

Why...

Anyone thinking of downgrading Third to get round this might want to think again.

USN-3793-1: Thunderbird vulnerabilities
https://usn.ubuntu.com/3793-1/
Last edited by smurphos on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Also see this topic - viewtopic.php?f=47&t=279627

Apparently you just need xul-ext-lightning for calendar support in 60.2.

apt install xul-ext-lightning to install.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
RobNID

Post by RobNID »

Hello smurphos and thank you very much for replying!
I tried running the "apt install xul-ext-lightening" command you suggested but it didn't work. I even restarted my machine but lightening was still disabled with no option for enabling it. "Remove" was the only option.

I then downloaded the older version as you suggested in your other reply and here's what I did:
Extracted the file
Right clicked on it and chose "open with other application"
Selected "GDebi package installer" and clicked OK
Then I got this error message: "could not open 'thunderbird-dbg_52.9.1+build3-OubuntoO.16.04.1_amd64'
The package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file. Check the permissions of the file.
I don't think the file is corrupted because I deleted it, downloaded it again, extracted it and tried to open it again with GDebi and got the same error message.
What do you think I'm doing wrong?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

RobNID wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:43 am Hello smurphos and thank you very much for replying!
I tried running the "apt install xul-ext-lightening" command you suggested but it didn't work.
What do you think I'm doing wrong?
Well, for starters, "it didn't work" is undefined.

Please post the commands you used and their output. Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Note that it's a capital F in that command, followed by lower case xz.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
RobNID

Post by RobNID »

Hi catweazel,
I don't see where there is an F (either lower or upper case) anywhere in that command.
Thanks for trying to help but I'm afraid you're talking way over my head.

But here goes anyway, hope this helps:

Code: Select all

[sudo] password for rob: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
xul-ext-lightning is already the newest version (1:60.2.1+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.4).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  gcc-5-base:i386 gimp-help-common kdepim-runtime kdepimlibs-kio-plugins
  libboost-thread1.58.0 libbsd0:i386 libdrm-amdgpu1:i386 libdrm-intel1:i386
  libdrm-nouveau2:i386 libdrm-radeon1:i386 libdrm2:i386 libedit2:i386
  libelf1:i386 libexpat1:i386 libffi6:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386
  libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglapi-mesa:i386 libkf5akonadiagentbase5
  libkf5alarmcalendar5 libkf5gapicalendar5 libkf5gapicontacts5
  libkf5gapitasks5 libkf5kontactinterface-data libkf5kontactinterface5
  libkf5notifyconfig-data libkf5notifyconfig5 libkolab1 libkolabxml1v5
  libllvm5.0 libllvm5.0:i386 libllvm6.0:i386 libpango1.0-0 libpciaccess0:i386
  libqt5xmlpatterns5 libsensors4:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0:i386
  libx11-6:i386 libx11-xcb1:i386 libxau6:i386 libxcb-dri2-0:i386
  libxcb-dri3-0:i386 libxcb-glx0:i386 libxcb-present0:i386 libxcb-sync1:i386
  libxcb1:i386 libxdamage1:i386 libxdmcp6:i386 libxerces-c3.1 libxext6:i386
  libxfixes3:i386 libxinerama1:i386 libxshmfence1:i386 libxxf86vm1:i386
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

RobNID wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:08 am Hi catweazel,
I don't see where there is an F (either lower or upper case) anywhere in that command.
Thanks for trying to help but I'm afraid you're talking way over my head.
Sorry about that. I neglected to remove some text.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

RobNID wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:08 am But here goes anyway, hope this helps:

[sudo] password for rob: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
xul-ext-lightning is already the newest version (1:60.2.1+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.4).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  gcc-5-base:i386 gimp-help-common kdepim-runtime kdepimlibs-kio-plugins
  libboost-thread1.58.0 libbsd0:i386 libdrm-amdgpu1:i386 libdrm-intel1:i386
  libdrm-nouveau2:i386 libdrm-radeon1:i386 libdrm2:i386 libedit2:i386
  libelf1:i386 libexpat1:i386 libffi6:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386
  libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglapi-mesa:i386 libkf5akonadiagentbase5
  libkf5alarmcalendar5 libkf5gapicalendar5 libkf5gapicontacts5
  libkf5gapitasks5 libkf5kontactinterface-data libkf5kontactinterface5
  libkf5notifyconfig-data libkf5notifyconfig5 libkolab1 libkolabxml1v5
  libllvm5.0 libllvm5.0:i386 libllvm6.0:i386 libpango1.0-0 libpciaccess0:i386
  libqt5xmlpatterns5 libsensors4:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0:i386
  libx11-6:i386 libx11-xcb1:i386 libxau6:i386 libxcb-dri2-0:i386
  libxcb-dri3-0:i386 libxcb-glx0:i386 libxcb-present0:i386 libxcb-sync1:i386
  libxcb1:i386 libxdamage1:i386 libxdmcp6:i386 libxerces-c3.1 libxext6:i386
  libxfixes3:i386 libxinerama1:i386 libxshmfence1:i386 libxxf86vm1:i386
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
That says it's installed. The other stuff is no longer needed so you can delete it with sudo apt autoremove.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

If you take a read through the linked thread above it appears you need to remove the lightning extension in Thunderbird for the repo package version to work. Sorry I can't be sure of exact steps - I don't use Thunderbird. Try posting in the linked thread if you get stuck.

For the installation of the old version of Thunderbird if that's the way you want to go i've just noted that gdebi (at least on Mint 19) will not allow you to downgrade via a deb install.

Double check you've downloaded the correct version for your Mint version and architecture. They should all be fine if you've got the correct version - they are directly from the ubuntu archive. Open a terminal in the folder you've downloaded the deb to and run apt deb thunderbird*
RobNID

Post by RobNID »

First I would like to thank everyone who replied to this post. You have all been most gracious in helping me with this problem and I really appreciate it.
I finally just used Timeshift to revert back to the older version of Thunderbird and it worked like a charm.
Although I at first thought that using Timeshift to fix a problem like this was a little severe, I've now changed my mind and will not be afraid to use it in the future.
By the way, I'm going to be ditching Thunderbird completely as I'm only using it for it's calendar anyway.
Does anyone know of a good stand-alone calendar for Mint?
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

RobNID wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:33 am First I would like to thank everyone who replied to this post. You have all been most gracious in helping me with this problem and I really appreciate it.
I finally just used Timeshift to revert back to the older version of Thunderbird and it worked like a charm.
Although I at first thought that using Timeshift to fix a problem like this was a little severe, I've now changed my mind and will not be afraid to use it in the future.
By the way, I'm going to be ditching Thunderbird completely as I'm only using it for it's calendar anyway.
Take a look here

http://www.day-planner.org/
efkasoft

Post by efkasoft »

smurphos wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:49 pm For Mint 19 64bit - http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... _amd64.deb
For Mint 19 32bit - http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... 1_i386.deb

For 18.x 64bit - http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... _amd64.deb
For 18.x 32bit - http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... 1_i386.deb

For 17.x 64bit - http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... _amd64.deb
For 17.x 32bit - http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... 1_i386.deb

Download the correct deb for your Mint version and architecture. Navigate to the folder you've downloaded to, right click and select open a terminal and then run apt deb thunderbird*

Once installed run apt hold thunderbird in a terminal to prevent it updating.
I also had this problem, not only with Lightning, but with several other Thunderbird add-ons.
The download mentioned as quoted was not enough to restore the previous version.

Take a look in the repository directory: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... underbird/
Also download and install the other needed packages, such as: thunderbird_52.9.1+build3-0ubuntu0.xx.04.1_amd64.deb, the *gnome-support* packages and your locale language pack.

After I did this version 52.9.1 worked again.
Last edited by efkasoft on Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobNID

Post by RobNID »

Lord Boltar wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:17 am
RobNID wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:33 am First I would like to thank everyone who replied to this post. You have all been most gracious in helping me with this problem and I really appreciate it.
Take a look here

http://www.day-planner.org/
Thanks Lord Boltar, I'll check it out!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I've editted my post above with links to the old Thunderbird version in light of

USN-3793-1: Thunderbird vulnerabilities
https://usn.ubuntu.com/3793-1/
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

The calendar in Thunderbird works fine for me after following the instructions in this thread.

I ran:

sudo apt install xul-ext-lightning
Then I disabled the Lightning add-on in Thunderbird and then restarted Thunderbird.

My calendar is working fine:

Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Just to clarify too, I sent an email from Thunderbird to my own Gmail and it received it fine.

I then created a calendar event on my phone in the Calendar app against my Gmail email address and sync'd it, it then appeared in Thunderbird.

In Thunderbird I then deleted the event and sync'd, it then disappeared in the Calendar app on my phone.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.

Return to “Beginner Questions”