File encryption ideas for newbies

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

File encryption ideas for newbies

Post by JoeFootball »

Branching off from another topic...
carum carvi wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:29 pm Joe, what's the best advice you can give newbies concering encryption software for seperate files? I have read during install that encryption of the entire disk is not advised for newbies, only for advanced users. I have tried it once anyway, although I am still a newbie, and it worked smoothly, but difficulties might arise when things go wrong so I have heard.

For seperate files I only can think of VeraCrypt software. But is there software available in the software manager that encrypts files easily?
Yes, I've seen several instances full partition/disk encryption causing issues. That said, I'm sure not many people come the to forums to write that they're not having issues. :) I'd imagine that it does work the majority of the time.

I don't think there's a "one-size-fits-all newbies" solution, as it depends upon each person's requirements and environment. But I will tell you what I do, and I don't think it's a non-newbie caliber concept (though I can understand how new concepts can be challenging to digest at first).

For me personally, I don't have a ton of files that I wish to encrypt. I use a VeraCrypt container, which I just open and close as I need files, much like someone would use a physical safe for keeping physical documents. Once you get familiar with the software, it's really not difficult.

For the rare occasion I need to encrypting a single file, I just use p7zip with AES-256 encryption. It's admittedly command line, but once you have the correct options deciphered, it's just a matter of changing the file name.

As for what's available in the Software Manager that's best for newbies, I can't really speak to that, as I've only used the above because it suits my needs well. I invite others to give their thoughts for this.

Joe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: File encryption ideas for newbies

Post by gm10 »

gpg is pre-installed and can also be used for individual file encryption.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI "carum carvi", JoeFootball, etc...
carum carvi wrote:Joe, what's the best advice you can give newbies concering encryption software for seperate files? I have read during install that encryption of the entire disk is not advised for newbies, only for advanced users. I have tried it once anyway, although I am still a newbie, and it worked smoothly, but difficulties might arise when things go wrong so I have heard.

For seperate files I only can think of VeraCrypt software. But is there software available in the software manager that encrypts files easily?
I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

* Linux Mint usually comes with archive applications pre-installed, so most file managers in Linux Mint already have right-click options to use "compress" to create an archive file of folders or files with or without password encryption. The 7zip packages are already installed usually, but you can search for "7z" or "7zip" and or "archive" in the Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) and install them.

* PeaZip is an excellent archiving application with AES-256 encryption and works on all platforms (Linux, MS Windows, Mac)
PeaZip (Linux x86-64) Open Source WinRar WinZip alternative
- I download and use the deb file (GTK2), save and double-click to install it.
http://www.peazip.org/peazip-linux.html

* I noticed in the Linux Mint Cinnamon the Nemo file manager ("Files" in the menu) has right-click compress options and if you pick 7z you can password protect it, and there is also an "encrypt" option that uses the gpg/pgp encryption keys assuming you have created your gpg key pair or imported them you can select the keys to use (nice). You can install "GPA" to create and or manage gpg/pgp key pairs and or to also encrypt files and or text.

* The KDE Dolphin file manager also has both "compress" archiving options and encryption options.

Hope this helps ...
FileManager_Nemo_Compress_Encrypt1.jpg
FileManager_Nemo_Compress_Encrypt2.jpg
FileManager_Nemo_Compress_Encrypt3.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Thanks JoeFootball for creating a new topic on this subject. Your tip, as well as the advice of gm10 is all about software that is only accesible with terminal commands? There is no gui shell available?

I therefore still wanna choose to use VeraCrypt software to encrypt single files, because it has windows and menus.

This is the homepage site of VeraCrypt
https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Downloads.html

With this next link one can learn how to verify that the downloaded software is secure:
https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Digital%20Signatures.html

PhD21, thanks for your detailed advice as well.

I have tried the "compress" right click menu option, only the field in which I should have been able to fill in a password was grayed out. I was able to compress a file, but couldnt encrypt it with a password. Very handy feature though, that right click compress function! Never knew it was THAT easy. But unfortunately password function did not work yet. Any tips what could be the cause of that?

Thanks for the link to the external encryption software.

As a newbie I wanna add my own solution untill now: for encrypting usb sticks I have used the software in the menu called "Discs". It wasnt very difficult to encrypt an usb stick with that LinuxMint 19 Cinnamon software. I guess it is available in LinuxMInt 18 as well. The standard available "Discs" software however doesnt give the possibility to encrypt individual files unfortunately.

If I dont want any hassle of individually encrypting files I can always simply select the option "encrypt home directory", an option that is given during the install of any LinuxMint OS
Last edited by carum carvi on Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "carum carvi"

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

carum carvi wrote:I therefore still wanna choose to use VeraCrypt software to encrypt single files, because it has windows and menus.
VeraCrypt is an excellent encryption solution, but it is a "container" (vault) encryption not the best for encrypting individual files and folders separately. This requires setting up an encrypted container with a pre-determined size like 4gb, 8gb, etc... and anything copied into that is securely encrypted, good for USB sticks as well.

You might want to check out "Sirikali" as well.

Encrypting Files Question
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=267379&hilit=sirikali

(Solved)How to install Veracrypt - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=275495&hilit=veracrypt

carum carvi wrote:PhD21, thanks for your detailed advice as well. I have tried the "compress" right-click menu option, only the field in which I should have been able to fill in a password was grayed out. I was able to compress a file, but couldnt encrypt it with a password. Very handy feature though, that right click compress function! Never knew it was THAT easy. But unfortunately password function did not work yet. Any tips what could be the cause of that?
That is usually because you did not select "7zip" (7z) or an archiving format that supports entering in passwords. Make sure "7zip" is installed from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). If you use the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and search for "Nemo", there may be plugins for various functions that need to be installed before those options in Nemo become available, and you may have to enable the plugins in Nemo settings.

If you install PeaZip, it will give you right-click options as well.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

When I check in software management if 7zip is installed on my LM19 Cinnamon system I get the reply that P7zip is installed. No mention of "7zip". When I search for 7zip in synaptic package manager I get only results for P7zip in return. I assume those are different versions of the same basic software?

I have selected 7z in the right click menu of "compress", but the password display is still grayed out.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "carum carvi",

That's odd that the password option is greyed out (not available), can you send us a screenshot of this?

The 7zip archive software packages can be called "p7zip" or whatever, I always install the "full" version of this. Did you check to see if there are "Nemo" file manager plugins in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and install those?
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

7z password grayed out.png

Dont see any add ons in synaptic package management, none that are called "add ons" anyway. "P7zip" is listed 3 times, one of them is installed the other 2 are non-free or with higher compression format.

It would be handy if this compress password method would work. Do I have to have something else installed as well. Gm10 mentioned pgp or something?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

carum carvi wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:44 pm It would be handy if this compress password method would work. Do I have to have something else installed as well.
You do. Run this in a terminal window (or install that package via Synaptic or Software Manager, as you prefer):

Code: Select all

apt install p7zip-full
It will work after that.

For unknown reasons they pre-install that only with the MATE edition.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "carum carvi",

Okay, go into the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", search for "nemo" and install the "nemo-fileroller" plugin along with any other plugins you might like, apply, exit "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", restart the FIles (nemo file manager), and you should have the password option. If not, check file manager settings and enable the plugin.

FYI: IF you want to add more functionality to the Nemo File Manager, like rename files en masse (more than one file at a time) and or to easily view multimedia file information, then see the posts below.

bulk rename with nemo - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=279848&hilit=nemo

How to view file (video) detailed properties through file folder or properties
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=278052&hilit=nemo

Hope this helps ...
LM_Cinn19_FileManager_Compress1.jpg
LM_Cinn19_FileManager_Compress2.jpg
LM_Cinn19_FileManager_Compress3.jpg
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Thanks Gm10 for your quick yet very effective solution. In 15 seconds I had it working. Must reconsider the use of terminal commands, it is very fast indeed. With this example of a standard Cinnamon being unable to password protect a compressed file, now I understand why forummembers keep saying that Mate is better equipped than Cinnamon.

Phd21, thanks for your very helpful graphical guide through the synaptic package manager. I hadnt used it before. Nemo Fileroller was already installed though, but there was a newer version. I havent tried it yet, because the terminal install of P7zip worked well already.

I visited your other links as well. Very informative. Thanks alot.

Goes to show that Cinnamon still could become a little bit more (newbie) user friendly, than it already is. Fortunately you guys are around to help newbies out!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Happy to help. :) And yes, once you're used to terminal commands you'll usually work much faster than with the GUI tools, but it's also a question of preference, same as the desktop environments.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI "carum carvi",

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

Since I do a fair amount of "archiving" (compressing) and extracting from various archive types, I always install the p7zip full package along with most other archiving packages. I did not realize that to get the Password option in Cinnamon's file manager compress option required installing the "p7zip" full package even though I did recommend that too because it was already working on my systems.

You can use either the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) or the console terminal commands for installing software; do not try installing software from the console terminal with the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) running or visa-versa. I prefer the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for a desktop GUI to install software packages because I can see related packages and right-click a package to see any recommended and or suggested packages I might also want to install.

I think Cinnamon is wonderful, very easy to install and use, and it has many features that the other editions do not have as far as Applets, Desklets, etc... But, depending upon one's needs and or wants, you may have to install other software packages, or perhaps change some settings, which is common on any operating system.
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

phd21 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:07 pm do not try installing software from the console terminal with the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) running or visa-versa.

Just done it. Oops. Dont know if that is the cause that Vlc mediaplayer wont function anymore. Some other install got messed up completely too. Had forgotten that the synaptic package management window was still open...

Well, it was a good learning curve for me with the synaptic package management. First time I used it. And messed it up lol
gm10

Post by gm10 »

carum carvi wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:59 pm
phd21 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:07 pm do not try installing software from the console terminal with the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) running or visa-versa.
Just done it. Oops. Dont know if that is the cause that Vlc mediaplayer wont function anymore. Some other install got messed up completely too. Had forgotten that the synaptic package management window was still open...

Well, it was a good learning curve for me with the synaptic package management. First time I used it. And messed it up lol
Nah, I doubt that's the reason. You cannot really mess up with that. While an install is in progress, it locks the package management system down, which makes you unable to install anything else. That's also why it's safe to use all those tools at the same time - you won't be able to do simultaneous installs. Therefore what you likely did wrong was you uninstalled or installed something you shouldn't have.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

That makes sense Gm10, I remember the installation progress bar in software management was stalled and didnt move. And I didnt get a installation complete message either. Then I started removing installations and reinstalling, because I did install about 4 different dvd rippers, one after another. Cant remember what I deleted or reinstalled or in what order.

I tried to help out another newbie out by testing K3b, but I shoot myself in the foot when I messed things up on my own pc.

Although I did, for the very first time, succesfully install software through the terminal and through synaptic package management. It works! With some collateral damage lol. Fortunately I work on a pc with which I can experiment. I just did a new fresh install of the system, problem solved, that new install route for me is faster than trying to repair Vlc mediaplayer.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Timeshift is another way to roll back your system and easier than full reinstall. Available in repo if you don't have installed already.

Return to “Beginner Questions”