Should I update my Bios?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cymri
Level 1
Level 1

Should I update my Bios?

Post by Cymri »

I bought a re-furbed Dell Optiplex 7010 and blew out the Win 10 install for Mint 19. Everything seems to be functioning flawlessly. After playing with it a few weeks, I noticed my bios version is A16 while the latest version is A29. According to Dell's site the intervening versions had several updates marked "Urgent." Do I need to update? I'm still a noob and want to be sure before I try anything that might brick my system. I looked at several video's on how to update the bios, but they either didn't seem to apply, or just left me more confused. Currently I boot in Legacy mode. Do I need to enable UEFI?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Should I update my Bios?

Post by AscLinux »

If it works why fix it?
However. The BIOS update may contain new microcode for your CPU, fixing known vulnerabilities. But then again, you can choose to load new microcode from your OS instead.
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Cymri wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:30 pm I bought a re-furbed Dell Optiplex 7010 and blew out the Win 10 install for Mint 19. Everything seems to be functioning flawlessly. After playing with it a few weeks, I noticed my bios version is A16 while the latest version is A29. According to Dell's site the intervening versions had several updates marked "Urgent." Do I need to update? I'm still a noob and want to be sure before I try anything that might brick my system. I looked at several video's on how to update the bios, but they either didn't seem to apply, or just left me more confused. Currently I boot in Legacy mode. Do I need to enable UEFI?
I am a total believer in "Don't fix what ain't broke"....

if you make one tiny miscue while updating the BIOS, it is bricked forever.

my laptop BIOS is now 5 years old, and ASUS does not even have an update for it.

my Gateway Desktop is now 12 years old, and runs just fine thank you, the way it is.
don't go messing with stuff that is NOT broken.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

Bricked forever is a little harsh. One can always invest a little in soldering equipment and a simple USB flasher costs around $10 from eBay. Plus all the thrills you get. 8)
And as always, you get to keep the tools and experience.
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Cymri wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:30 pm Currently I boot in Legacy mode. Do I need to enable UEFI?
Legacy is fine.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Cymri wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:30 pm I bought a re-furbed Dell Optiplex 7010 and blew out the Win 10 install for Mint 19. Everything seems to be functioning flawlessly. After playing with it a few weeks, I noticed my bios version is A16 while the latest version is A29. According to Dell's site the intervening versions had several updates marked "Urgent." Do I need to update? I'm still a noob and want to be sure before I try anything that might brick my system. I looked at several video's on how to update the bios, but they either didn't seem to apply, or just left me more confused. Currently I boot in Legacy mode. Do I need to enable UEFI?
Legacy mode is quite OK. With upgrading the BIOS, I recommend it, even though you haven't noticed any issues. My machines are all kept up to date.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:22 pm if you make one tiny miscue while updating the BIOS, it is bricked forever.
Oh, come on. That's mere unfounded opinion, not technical support.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

My view in regards to BIOS updating...=> viewtopic.php?p=1503478#p1503478

My view - reloaded™ in regards to BIOS updating in this day & age...=> viewtopic.php?p=1509029#p1509029

Plus...as AscLinux very nicely put it... you get to keep the tools and experience :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”