Guest Account?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rachaellynn

Guest Account?

Post by rachaellynn »

I have someone living in my house I do not want to use my computer. Is there any way I can remove the guest account, or add a password to it? Or add a password to get to the login screen? Any help is appreciated!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Guest Account?

Post by gm10 »

Mint menu > Login Window > Users > Allow guest sessions
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Some computers can set a password in BIOS that will not allow booting without that password. Any OS password has the ability to be bypassed unless you encrypt the entire file system.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
gm10

Post by gm10 »

lsemmens wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:06 am Some computers can set a password in BIOS that will not allow booting without that password. Any OS password has the ability to be bypassed unless you encrypt the entire file system.
True, although you can reset a BIOS password by pulling the battery. If this is really about security then full disk encryption is actually the only option.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

It really comes down to just how secure you want to make your computer? If physical access is available, someone with sufficient skills will be able to get into it - be it through resetting BIOS passwords, booting up via live USB, or logging into a guest account.

If the person is of average skill, then gm10's suggestion of disabling the guest account is probably sufficient. Most people not skilled with Linux will get that far, and then give up. Just be sure that YOUR account's password is not very obvious, and known only to you.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

gm10 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:13 am
lsemmens wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:06 am Some computers can set a password in BIOS that will not allow booting without that password. Any OS password has the ability to be bypassed unless you encrypt the entire file system.
True, although you can reset a BIOS password by pulling the battery. If this is really about security then full disk encryption is actually the only option.
Also true. a system is only as secure as you wish to make it. Full disk encryption is probably the only method of keeping most people out.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Beginner Questions”