startup(boot) disk

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OldCrowjbk

startup(boot) disk

Post by OldCrowjbk »

still a newbie, but getting there thanks for everyone's help. I now have my Linux Mint Cinnamon 18 working and most programs I need working. So at this point I wanted to back everything up and make a startup (boot) disk so that if I have a major problem such as hard drive failure I can restore all I have done. I used The Backup Tool to backup personal data and software selection and then copied them to a USB stick. Next I wanted to make a startup disk so that I could boot and then restore. I tried to use "Startup Disk Creator" which only gave me this message at the top 'to try or install Ubuntu from a removable disk, it needs to be set up as a startup disk source disk image (.iso). I looked through this forum and other places and I found problems with booting, but not how to make a disk. I installed an apt via the terminal called xfburn. I ran it and it had four choices to use, but all required information I didn't know where to find. How to ask a question here said to give as many details as possible and that is why this is so long.
My question is: What steps do I take to make a startup (boot) disk??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: startup(boot) disk

Post by kukamuumuka »

Use Super Grub 2
https://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/ ... sk-stable/

If you want to make a boot-USB from your installation, it goes like

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt  ## assuming that your usb is /dev/sdb
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sdb
sudo cp -R /boot* /mnt/
sudo umount /mnt
viewtopic.php?t=53070#p1166184
OldCrowjbk

Post by OldCrowjbk »

I have downloaded Super Grub2 Disk and it shows in my Linux Home folder--downloads folder--as super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.02s9.iso But it is grayed out and I don't know what the next step is. I know that it has been a long time since the your reply, but I have not had a chance to get back on here.
Also I have still not learned much about the terminal. Your reply also showed four lines under CODE: SELECT ALL I can't get to the next line after I type the first one. I try to use enter but what I get is a line asking for my password which I type in and hit enter and all I get is an error. I tried typing all four lines without pressing enter after each line you show and that doesn't work.
So how do I install Super Grub 2 from the download folder and how do I go from one line on the terminal to the next.
This newbie says thanks.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

I am not sure if I understood, but maybe is better if you tell results for the next commands.

inxi -Sd

inxi -po

sudo parted -l
OldCrowjbk

Post by OldCrowjbk »

The results of each are:
inxi -sd
showed drives: hhd and optical information and sensors

inxi -po
partition ID-1 912g used 13g
ID-2 6.23 gb used 0.00gb
unmounted: no unmounted partition dectected

sudo parted -1
password for Jim:
parted [-hlmsv] [-a<align] [DEVICE [COMMAND [Parameters] ...1

I hope this helps. Thanks Jim
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

OldCrowjbk wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:06 am The results of each are:
inxi -sd

inxi -po
ID-2 6.23 gb used 0.00gb

sudo parted -1
password for Jim:

I feel that I am unable to help you. :(
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

OldCrowjbk wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:06 am The results of each are:
inxi -sd

inxi -po
ID-2 6.23 gb used 0.00gb

sudo parted -1
password for Jim:

It would have been good to follow the inputs exactly as requested, and to then copy and paste the actual out output into a CODE box in your reply, by using the "</>" button at the top of the reply box.

The first input was requested with an upper case S, as in

inxi -Sd
And the last one was a lower case l (el), not a number 1, as in

sudo parted -l
It's better to just copy and paste the commands, instead of typing them in.

Return to “Beginner Questions”