[RESOLVED] on shutdown a number of apps are not responding

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

[RESOLVED] on shutdown a number of apps are not responding

Post by ineuw »

In the attached image, this app never responds to a shutdown, and there are times that are as many as 7 apps don't respond. What can I do to correct this?
Screenshot from 2018-10-17 20-26-18.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English Edge - Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 French
Laptop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English - as of 24-04-15
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: on shutdown a number of apps are not responding

Post by xenopeek »

No idea why so many applications could be stuck. AT-SPI is for accessibility. Are you using anything like desktop zoom, on screen keyboard, screen reader or such?

You might try disabling AT-SPI though I'm hard pressed to explain how AT-SPI could cause all those other applications you refer to get stuck. Seems like something else must be the root cause. But you could try. It seems to me at best this would remove AT-SPI from the stuck applications list at shutdown, not fix the actual problem or solve the issue for those other applications.

You need to both disable the autostarter AND mask the user bus service, or it will get started anyway. First, make sure your autostart override directory exists with this command:
mkdir -v ~/.config/autostart
Then you can run this command to disable the autostarter:
cat /etc/xdg/autostart/at-spi-dbus-bus.desktop <(echo "X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false") > ~/.config/autostart/at-spi-dbus-bus.desktop
Finally also mask the user bus service:
systemctl --user mask at-spi-dbus-bus.service
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ineuw »

xenopeek, I am sure that these issues directly relate to the video problem, about which I last posted, I use none of the software mentioned and my take on the issue is old hardware attempting to incorporate new software and a lack of video memory. I will keep you posted and thanks for the help. A very interesting solution.
Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English Edge - Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 French
Laptop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English - as of 24-04-15
milomak

Post by milomak »

thanks this seems to have helped me disable at-spi on my debian install as well

Return to “Beginner Questions”