Linux Mint 19 Tara Xfce: Task Manager and System Monitor display a different memory usage

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Glosoli
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 19 Tara Xfce: Task Manager and System Monitor display a different memory usage

Post by Glosoli » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:39 am

I've been using Mint Cinnamon for about a year (currently using Tara), but I wanted to give Xfce a try, given my low-specs machine.
I went to compare the memory usage using Task Manager and System Monitor, and they display a dirrefent result, Why?
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-10-17_08-34-26.png

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Linux Mint 19 Tara Xfce: Task Manager and System Monitor display a different memory usage

Post by gm10 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:41 am

I'm not on Xfce, but I can probably explain this. In a terminal, run

Code: Select all

free -hw
I'll bet that task manager displays the value from the used column, which equals total - free - buffers - cache, whereas System Monitor displays total - available. Quoting from man free:

available
              Estimation of how much memory is available for starting new applications, without swapping. Unlike the  data  pro‐
              vided by the cache or free fields, this field takes into account page cache and also that not all reclaimable mem‐
              ory slabs will be reclaimed due to items being in use (MemAvailable in /proc/meminfo, available on  kernels  3.14,
              emulated on kernels 2.6.27+, otherwise the same as free)

Glosoli
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 19 Tara Xfce: Task Manager and System Monitor display a different memory usage

Post by Glosoli » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:28 am

gm10 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:41 am
I'm not on Xfce, but I can probably explain this. In a terminal, run

free -hw
I'll bet that task manager displays the value from the used column, which equals total - free - buffers - cache, whereas System Monitor displays total - available. Quoting from man free:

available
              Estimation of how much memory is available for starting new applications, without swapping. Unlike the  data  pro‐
              vided by the cache or free fields, this field takes into account page cache and also that not all reclaimable mem‐
              ory slabs will be reclaimed due to items being in use (MemAvailable in /proc/meminfo, available on  kernels  3.14,
              emulated on kernels 2.6.27+, otherwise the same as free)
Hi, Thanks for replying. Which basically means there's no real advantage in using Xfce compared to Cinnamon, in term of resources. (They both use the same amount of memory in my tests)

HaveaMint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HaveaMint » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:39 am

Only running terminal xfce doesn't use much.

free -hw
              total        used        free      shared     buffers       cache   available
Mem:            17G        328M         15G         19M        114M        1.4G         16G
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Return to “Newbie Questions”