Wifi issues with dell latitude d830 and their resolution

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Ironmongoose
Level 1
Level 1

Wifi issues with dell latitude d830 and their resolution

Post by Ironmongoose » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:31 pm

i admit i played with fire but i did resolve an issue that i have been having (my broadcom wifi card was not registering) but beyond that i could get no signal either way from it infact even when the wifi was working in the original os ( win xp) the wifi light never came on now it did connect to wifi it just didnt have the light working.
the things that fixed it to be honest i used my other desktop to google fixes and ended up using a combination of things from a couple sources to do it i used
sudo apt-get update

and i used the advice some one gave for a d820 laptop (it had the exact same wifi card as my pc did shocking really)

and last but not least i completely shut off the side toggle switch for my wifi and wifi catcher .... not sure specifically how that works in but once i had trouble shot it for about a hour (when i actually sat down and did it) i had a perfectly working laptop with a free "recent" os that was not xp .... im not trying to brag (much) but if anyone could help me by writing out a proper list of processes to get to this point state i would be much appreciative for those who haven't yet

i do remember bits and pieces of how i got to this point but im no tech wizard to even both trying to explain it simply put my issue was software related and if you have a broadcom wifi card you too might have issues

a wired connection to internet is a must for getting all the drivers and software you will need and dont be fooled you will need it
i should mention im writing this on exactly 3 hours of sleep from about 24-25 hours ago so im pretty sure im not coherent right now sorry

all41
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Wifi issues with dell latitude d830 and their resolution

Post by all41 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:45 pm

Firstly-welcome to the forum------get some snooze.
Get expert advice by providing some minimal information.
Open a terminal window from your Menu and type or copy/paste the following:

Code: Select all

inxi-Fxz
Copy the entire terminal results and post them back to this thread.
Please click the 'CODE' icon (</>) above the reply window and paste the terminal results within.
There are wifi experts aboard but they will need this info
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

Return to “Newbie Questions”