what happens when support ends

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
otlichnik73
Level 3
Level 3

what happens when support ends

Post by otlichnik73 »

Hi there, everyone!
Can someone explain in simple newbie terms please - what happens when support for a particular edition of Mint ends.
Will we still get updates? Security updates?
(I was told that support for my Linux 18 will end in 2021)
Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
First Port of Call for Windows Refugees: https://switchtolinuxdesktop.wordpress.com/
gm10

Re: what happens when support ends

Post by gm10 »

The system itself will keep functioning, but you won't get anymore updates and Software Manager will mostly be empty since the Ubuntu repositories go offline. The system itself will keep working though, there is no time limit on that.

Note that you are already only receiving updates for a small part of the total available software. If that is a concern you should be a considering to move on to the next version rather than wait out the full 5 years, anyway.
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

I might suggest you switch to the Debian based LMDE 2 or3 which is likely to run and be supported for much longer than the straight Mint distros. Their repos rely on the Debian repos instead of the Ubuntu ones.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

turtlebay wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:39 pm I might suggest you switch to the Debian based LMDE 2 or3 which is likely to run and be supported for much longer than the straight Mint distros. Their repos rely on the Debian repos instead of the Ubuntu ones.
Not really. LMDE2 is based on Debian 8, direct support for which ran out in the middle of the year with Mint support ending with the year. LMDE3 is based on Debian 9 which will be supported by Debian directly until 2020 with 2 more years of community-based LTS support until 2022.

Linux Mint 19, on the other hand, will be supported until 2023.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Think of support like warranty. Just 'cause the warranty expires, doesn't mean the product is no longer any good. Some things that are out of warranty still work 100 years later.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:29 pm Think of support like warranty. Just 'cause the warranty expires, doesn't mean the product is no longer any good. Some things that are out of warranty still work 100 years later.
So very true.
As an example:
Even the outdated Win XP. With a fresh install it will still perform and work as intended---but never allow it online.
Same for other Win systems.
Keep them offline
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

otlichnik73 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:40 pm Hi there, everyone!
Can someone explain in simple newbie terms please - what happens when support for a particular edition of Mint ends.
Will we still get updates? Security updates?
(I was told that support for my Linux 18 will end in 2021)
Cheers!
Stay with Mint.
You can always expect an upgrade option to keep your Mint to the latest LTS. 2021 is just around the corner and already Mint is offering a new LTS edition. :wink:
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Beginner Questions”