FreeFileSync to network drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trevord734
Level 1
Level 1

FreeFileSync to network drive

Post by trevord734 »

New user so please be kind, and excuse if this question has been asked before.
I Have installed FFS gui and need to be able to sync to a network drive that is plugged into my router and has ip address of 192.168.0.142.
In the Home folder the network drive has an address of smb://freebox-server.local/
Having tried every which way I can think of I am turning to this forum for help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: FreeFileSync to network drive

Post by altair4 »

When you use Nemo ( Home folder ) to connect to a network share it mounts that share to something under: /run/user/1000/gvfs

Note: 1000 is your user id number. To find out if that is in fact yours run this command:

Code: Select all

id
Can FreeFileSync access that mount point?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
trevord734
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trevord734 »

when I use command id I get the following
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
root@tbd-HP-Notebook:/home#
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Since you cannot access a network share as root using Nemo how are you mounting the network share?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I am a user of FFS and I also have the experience that network shares are not found by Linux FFS. Under Windows this is no issue.
I have no solution, just confirming the issue.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I have never used FFS which may explain why I'm having a hard time reproducing this problem. I will go though the steps I have taken so far:

[1] I used Mint19 Cinnamon and through nemo accessed my Public share on my server.

[2] Then I ran FFS:

-- I selected my Mint Public share on the left side
-- And my network share on the right side - The "Browse" button showed my network mount of the side panel
-- and selected Compare
FFS.png
Seems to work for me. Am I doing something wrong?

Return to “Beginner Questions”