[SOLVED] What are the risks to upgrade the kernel?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jerson
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] What are the risks to upgrade the kernel?

Post by jerson »

Greetings

I have this nagging desire to upgrade the kernel on my machine to 4.15.

What are the risks of doing this and how do I do it? I am aware that the Update Manager shows kernels under the view menu

My primary intention is to upgrade so that the USB devices handling which is perhaps fixed in this kernel are available to me. I know this since I tried Lubuntu with 4.15 kernel on the same machine and the USB device support works good.

My current kernel is
4.4.0-116-generic #140-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 12 21:23:04 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Last edited by Moem on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you; please note that you can and should do this for your own topics. Thanks!
Regards
Jerson

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What are the risks to upgrade the kernel?

Post by HaveaMint »

jerson wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:55 am
Greetings

I have this nagging desire to upgrade the kernel on my machine to 4.15.

What are the risks of doing this and how do I do it? I am aware that the Update Manager shows kernels under the view menu

My primary intention is to upgrade so that the USB devices handling which is perhaps fixed in this kernel are available to me. I know this since I tried Lubuntu with 4.15 kernel on the same machine and the USB device support works good.

My current kernel is
4.4.0-116-generic #140-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 12 21:23:04 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
You can install it with Update Manager as you have seen, if you have any issues after the new installed kernel you may want to read this link before you update and be familiar with the proceedure of falling back to a previous kernel.
viewtopic.php?t=184447
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

jerson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jerson »

Well thank you for giving me the nudge to try. I just upgraded to 4.15.20 and it works a charm. Solves one USB device problem.
Regards
Jerson

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint »

jerson wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:04 am
Well thank you for giving me the nudge to try. I just upgraded to 4.15.20 and it works a charm. Solves one USB device problem.
Your welcome.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Return to “Newbie Questions”