sugestion for a good email aplication

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kimtieuphuong
Level 1
Level 1

sugestion for a good email aplication

Post by kimtieuphuong » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:57 am

Hi all:

One of the most important features, for me , on a email application is a good notifier.

So far I tried a lot of available application for mint and none of them shows notifiers of incoming e-mails !!!

And I know that at least with GEARY this worked great on ubuntu !!!

Why it doesn't work on mint ??? On ubuntu I had always a popup message saying how many unread mails I had, and untill I entered to read them the warning was still there !!

Anyone has an explanation for this ?? so far I tried , geary, evolution , claws and some others that I can't remember the names.

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Re: sugestion for a good email aplication

Post by phd21 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:18 pm

Hi kimtieuphuong,

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

I would recommend the Thunderbird email client. The Thunderbird email client can also show pop-up alerts, make sure "libnotify" is installed from "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".

The Evolution email client can show pop-up alerts.

There are other various mail notification options, search the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for "mail notif".

May requiring restarting the computer after installing these.

Previous posts:
New Email alert Sound-solved. - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=275933&hilit=email+alert

FYI: Email Wav, MP3 sound files at the Sound Archive.
https://www.thesoundarchive.com/email.asp

Hope this helps ...
Thunderbird1.jpg
Thunderbird2.jpg
Thunderbird3.jpg
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

rickNS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rickNS » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:08 pm

kimtieuphuong wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:57 am
Hi all:

One of the most important features, for me , on a email application is a good notifier.
In addition to all the good things phd21 has said, I'm zeroing in on your "good notifier" bit, OK.

When I switched to Linux, I kind of missed that little thing down in the right corner (envelope), telling me I had a new email, no biggie, I can live / without with that.

Then thinking out loud (to myself one day)..I thought / remembered a TV commercial for AOL I believe it was, that said "you've got mail" I thought that was pretty cool !. I wanted my computer / email client to tell me "you've got mail" in my own voice when it happens.

OK, How do you do that...turns out, it's not that hard, and that is how I get my Thunderbird email notifications.

If this is something you maybe interested in ...
Mint 18 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

jglen490
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jglen490 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:27 pm

Thunderbird ... you need nothing else. Unless you need a calendar extension, then Thunderbird and Lightning.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

Return to “Newbie Questions”